Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I have had a eye infection for a year and been on all kinds

I have had a eye infection for a year and been on all kinds of antibiotic creams, pills, and been tested for dry eye , It burns ,irches and green pus comes out of it the only thing that soothes this is cold compress. And I noticed my eyesight is cloudy at times , We just had a inspection on the home and we are infested with mold 100 percent .,Could this be why this is not going away and if so what kind of doctor do I contact to treat?

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

While I think that a large mold infestation in your home could be contributing to your eye problems through some type of allergic reaction, I don't think it is responsible for the entire picture. As you stated you have been through a lot over the past year and tried many things...all to no avail. Dry eyes are common after menopause and this might be part of the problem -- natural tears can help with this. When you talk of burning and green pus I think of blepharitis and meibomium gland dysfunction.

So what is blepharitis and what can you do about it?

It is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

Try the treatment above, use natural tears 3-4x/day or more and see what you can do about the mold. If you can do all of this I believe your eyes will be better.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Also, an Ophthalmologist would be the doctor best equipped to help you with you issues.

Thanks for giving me a chance to help you.