Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

had strab surgery in june is it true it could take some time

had strab surgery in june is it true it could take some time to see really noticablr improvments

The amount of time it takes for you to notice improvements from strabismus surgery depend upon many factors such as the condition you had surgery for, continued abnormalities (Graves Disease or tumors etc), use of adjustable sutures, visual acuity (needed to help maintain alignment), or possible need for repeat surgery.

It is not uncommon for the final results to take some time to occur. How much time? That varies from patient to patient, but it can be many months. The best person to tell you if your final result is taking longer then expected would be your surgeon.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
very sorry but had strabismus surgery in january at schie in philadelphia vision in eye is 5/400 due to repeated retina detachment surgeries have some peripheral vision which is double vision my eye was turning out hence the strabismus surgery with adjustable sutures. now going to johns hopkins wilmer eye doctor told me to stop wearing prisms which were 5 diopters he said if he would presceibe prism it would be less so he said stop prism and eye patch they seem like they can resolve this issue i pray they can i have also heard that adult double vision can take longer to fix then childrens is this true i go see the doctor next friday i do not know if he will say lower prism or opt for another surgery thank you for your thorough response for it is greatly appreciated

Thank you for the additional information.

First of all I want to mention that you are going to the top ophthalmology programs in the US, if not the world, for your treatment. They will make sure you have the best outcome possible.

It is true that it is more difficult to resolve double vision in adults then children. I believe this is because a child's mind has an easier time of adjusting to new things, such as muscle surgery, then adults do. Also, with your poor central vision it will take longer, and be more difficult, for your eyes to become/remain straight.

I wish you the best of luck. You are in very good hands with the doctors at Wilmer....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you again if they can make the double just a litte better i will be happy i am sure i can start thinking positive of wilmer fixing this double i think it just takes time and finding the right professionals to do the job i mean a country that can put people on the moon can fix double vision again thank you for your quick answer
My pleasure. Keep up the positive thinking.....things will go as well as they possibly can with the help of the staff at Wilmer.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
thank you doctor so do you give me a good chance of fixing this double.i have been through an extreme amount of grief with this condition i hope that they do not say it is not going to get any better to go and wear some sceral shell like the docs suggested before they never tried to find cause of double they were just trying to hide it all sorts of light that comes in as possible so i need a lot of positive answers in my life . by the way this is all due to someone speeding and running a red light hitting me head on resulting in fractured neck fractured orbital socket nose damage to legs then detached retina after 6 surgeries to no avail this was back in 2007 and yeh by the way it was a new cadillac escalade with 60 miles on it so sorry for you to hear me vent but as you can see i have been through an awfull lot that is why i do not want to hear any more negativity as i have heard enough

No problem venting.....happy to listen.

Right now it sounds like you should take every chance to correct your diplopia -- with all you've been through you really have nothing to loose by trying. As to your chances? Well, by working with the Doc's at Wilmer they are they best that your situation allows.

Good luck and hang in there.