Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have some dry eye issues and perhaps some floaters but my

I have some dry eye issues and perhaps some floaters but my right eye has an infection or a virus and my doctor is not a good listener.
He didn't seem to see an infection but noted some white spot on my right eye.
What I can see when the light is right is tiny hook shaped critters in usually just my right eye. I have had chronic sinus issues which are not bad right now.
Is there a way I can draw a picture and attach perhaps to an e-mail. At one time I had a bunch of white raised pimples on my right eyelid. they came and went for 3 weeks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question. It seems like you may have a few things going on at once. One of them is floaters and the other might be blepharitis.

If have floating dots or spots that are new and that tend to follow your eye movements, floating behind and then catching up to the same position they occupied before then your symptoms sound consistent with what are called vitreous floaters. These floating spots or "bugs" as some people call them, are tiny pieces of the vitreous jelly that occupies a large amount of the volume of the back of the eye. This vitreous jelly, when we're born, is the consistency of a jello jiggler (thick jello). As we age it liquefies and becomes more fibrous bands and water.

Because of this liquefaction and the resultant fibrous bands that are left, there becomes more points of traction that the jelly exerts on the back of the eye where it is attached. As we move our eyes in different directions and as our pupils change shape, or even as we rub our eyes, some of these bands can become unattached from the back of the eye and a piece of it floats around, attached still to the rest of the jelly. It is this traction of the vitreous jelly on the retina that can produce these flashes. These flashes tend to be small, like starbursts and are usually intermittent; they can also appear as an arcing light. This process can happen more frequently in an eye that has had surgery.

One of the most important things to understand about floaters is that the process of a new floater happening can rarely lead to a retinal detachment, so it is important to know the 4 signs of a possible retinal detachment. These are: 1. sudden increase in or new floaters, 2. flashing or arcing lights that are persistent and not going away, 3. a shade/shadow/spot in your vision that you can't see light through, or 4. a large drop in your vision which doesn't improve after a few minutes. For any of these symptoms you must see an ophthalmologist as soon as possible.

Blepharitis is a condition where glands in the eyelids are not functioning normally. This could be related to the pimple like things you noticed. They become plugged and instead of putting out their normal clear, oily secretions, they put out thick, toothpaste like gunk.

The best treatment for this condition daily lid scrubs combined with warm compresses. I like to use baby shampoo for lid scrubs. In the shower, place the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyes, raise your eyebrows (to stretch the skin on you eyelids) and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes for 3 to 5 minutes. The hot water in the shower helps to soften the plugged oils in the glands while the mechanical scrubbing with your soapy fingers removes the oils.

In a few weeks the glands (meibomian gland) should be back online and the issue with swelling should be resolved.

It was a pleasure to address your question. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I am on antibiotics for a week the little hookworm looking things seem to be less.
they look like a wad of string on top drop down and have a hook shape on the bottom.
I do have chronic dry eye you could say but I have something living in there
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

I see that you live in the USA. It would be very, very uncommon for you to have any type of larva/worm living in your eye. It is likely that you have vitreous floaters.

If you did, however, have something living in your eye it would be very, very easy for your ophthalmologist to see it during a dilated examination. If you are worried I would suggest you make an appointment with her.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest