Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello, my names Niklas Andersson, and Ive been having a problem

Hello, my name'sXXXXX and I've been having a problem with my vision during the last few years.

My problem is, as stated, my vision; from time to time (with intervalls ranging up to 3 months or even more), I've randomly been getting this problem. I am going to explain my problem as well as I possibly can, because I have no idea how to explain it in any other direct manner.

The state I am in is that I feel nauseous, but it never got to the point where I vomited, I have headaches and I have problems focusing on things with my eye, and I'm going to try to explain this as well as I can now; Whenever you get blinded by bright light, you see "flashed dots", and thats what I "see".
When it happens, it stays in for about half and hour to an hour, and I still see it if I cover my left or right eye, and cant focus.
I don't have glasses, or any other eye-related "disease" or malfunctioning that I know of, and my vision is perfect except for this problem.

The reason why I'm asking you is because normally the intervalls were long enought, but I have it right at the moment as when I'm typing this, and last time I had it was yesterday.

Thanks for any answer, Niklas.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi Niklas. I'll be happy to help you with your question. If you are online now, we can do it by chat.

Dr. Rick :

Hi. Looks like you have entered the chat room. The system is a little slow today so it may take a few minutes for our answers to each other to post back and forth.

Customer :

Ok

Customer :

So, any idea of what it is? Is it something normal?

Dr. Rick :

What you are describing are classic symptoms of ocular migraine. Not only do I treat patients with this problem but I have it myself

Customer :

Alright

Dr. Rick :

how old are you?

Customer :

20

Dr. Rick :

Yup. Mine started when I was 19. Let me tell you a little about what I think is happening to you.

Dr. Rick :

the "flashing lights" you see come before any nausea/headache and can last from 15 min to 2 hrs. They can get so bad that you can't read due to blind spots in your vision. Some patients also get sensitive to light or sound. After the lights go away a headache can follow. It can be real bad, or not so bad...sometimes the lights are not even followed by a headache.

Dr. Rick :

It is not a sign of a tumor or any horrible disease.

Dr. Rick :

does this sound like what you are having?

Customer :

Yes.

Customer :

But I have quite some aching in my frontal head part aswell during it

Customer :

At my forehead.

Customer :

I cant read anything, pretty much every time, even tho the intervals are long.

Customer :

Have to focus alot if I want to read something.

Dr. Rick :

that can occur. There is a good website that covers this at the mayo clinic. just google "migraine with aura" and their page pops up.

Customer :

Ok.

Dr. Rick :

I know what you mean. There are time I can't read for hours when I get mine. That should resolve after the episode. I, personally, had to stop in the middle of a surgery once due to the flashing lights!

Customer :

Does it happen to you more frequently now than what it did before?

Dr. Rick :

I hope this has helped to answer your question. If you could be so kind as to press 'accept' so I can be given my due for helping I would appreciate it. I'll be happy to continue to answer your questions as long as necessary. During your twenty's and 30's they can be pretty frequent. When I hit 40ish I stopped having them. There are treatments your internal medicine doctor can prescribe to help make the episodes less frequent and to even stop an attack when it starts.

Dr. Rick :

My headaches were most frequent during medical school, in my 20's.

Customer :

Alright, thanks for your answer!

Dr. Rick :

it was a pleasure to chat with someone in Sweeden.

Customer :

Hmm

Customer :

Pressed Accept

Customer :

Doesnt seem to work

Customer :

Or something.

Customer :

A blank page pops up

Customer :

:/

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest