Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

For the past four days my eyes have caused me some problems. 1

For the past four days my eyes have caused me some problems.

1 I have a black spot or two that seem to be just like there were a couple of gnats flying around my head. When I turn my head or try to swat at them. nothing happens.
2 When trying to read the paper, I can't focus on some of the print, whether I am close or far, with or without glasses.
3 To the upper left, an aura seems to be constantly in front of my eyes, making me feel a migraine is coming on, but it never developes into one.

I am 62 years old and have been a type II diabetic since 1990. I have an eye exam every six months. The last time I saw my eye doctor was two months ago.

Any advice?

Thank you, XXXXX
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Dr. Rick :

are you still online and available to chat?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

The most common cause of black spots in your vision is a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

Even though you stated you have complete eye exams every six months I am concerned, that in your case with the long history of diabetes and the change in your ability to see the newspaper, that you could have some bleeding inside your eye and, perhaps, swelling of the center of your vision (macula). There is also the possibility that the "aura" or shadow you are seeing, if it is occurring in one eye only (cover one eye at a time and check) could be a sign of a progressive retinal detachment. If this is the case you should be seen by an ophthalmologist ASAP.

I strongly recommended that you see your ophthalmologist for a complete, dilated, exam ASAP to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole, tear, bleeding, macular edema or detachment. In most cases, there are no problems but it better to be safe then sorry.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD