Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

Hello! I have got an eye infection, most possibly related

Customer Question

Hello!

I have got an eye infection, most possibly related to a sexual transmitted infection I've got a long time ago. I know this might be a question for urologists, but as they haven't replied me, I hope it's alright I try out here. Sometime I get bloodshot eyes, usually it's been my right eye, but also the left has been affected. I also feel like scratching but it just get worse and sometimes I often see unclearly if I try to scratch. It also feels like it stings sometimes. I was successfully treated with doxyline when it was a ureathral infection but after recurrence, it feels like it has affected deeper, for instance bladder and the prostate.. As I've also had unexplainable pain in my arms and legs, Reiter's Syndrome has been suggested. What do you think this could be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Dr. Rick :

I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

Dr. Rick :

1. What type of STD did you have and was it treated completely?

Dr. Rick :

2. Is you vision affected when you are symptom free? How is your vision during the eye symptoms? What seems to be associated with the times you get bloodshot eyes?

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Of the STDs chlamydia, herpes and syphilis are frequent causes of corneal (eye) disease. Tuberculosis, leprosy and Lyme disease are also rare causes of a type of corneal disease called interstitial keratitis.

If you do have interstitial keratitis from a STD you would need a workup to make sure your STD was fully treated or that you had not been infected again. The primary disease needs to be fully treated to help resolve the eye issues. It is very difficult to treat the eye disease in isolation and, as such, it is necessary to figure out the underlying STD and treat it fully, usually in conjunction with an internist or infectious disease specialist.

I suggest you make an appointment with an ophthalmologist for a complete eye examination and with your internal medicine physician for a physical examination and pertinent lab tests.

To sooth your eyes in the mean time you can use natural tears 4x/day and clean your eyelids with baby shampoo by scrubbing along your lashes with you index fingers in the shower. This will help to remove any irritants and get your own tear glands working better.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hello and thank you for your reply!

1: There was unfortunately never ruled out what kind of STD it was, therefore just determined as NSU. I was tested for clamydia many times, and also urea/mycoplasma and probably all other basic STDs,
However the succesfull antibiotic cure of Doxyline and the white blodcell test confirmed it was a bacterial infection, but if it was treated completely is a very relevant question. I don't think it was, as I could still feel vague symptoms after ended cure. however the recurrence of the illness is way stronger than the first ones in terms of spread out symptoms in the whole body.

2, My vision is also affected when no visible symptoms. The blurry vision isn't necessarily at the same time as the bloodshot eyes, but when they're bloodshot, they feel even more irritated and itchy. But the itchiness is sort of stingy at the same time. What I found interesting is, during the Ciprofloxacin cure, my urinarty tract got better while the eye got worse and blodshot, as if the infection is "running around" in the body.

Please have more questions if needed. Thank you in advance
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Looks like we are playing tag!

NSU, which is usually chlamydia 'cuz it is hard to grow in culture, can cause persistent eye issues. However, just because you have the infection in your penis doesn't mean you would get it in your eye.

I still believe your best bet would be to have a complete eye exam by an ophthalmologist to try to figure this out. It is possible, however, that your eye symptoms could be due to blepharitis and not a STD ocular infection at all. Without seeing you in person it is impossible to know, given your history.

For blepharitis I recommend warm compresses 3x/day and lid scrubs as I outlined above once daily in the shower.

When you were on the doxycycline I wonder if your ocular symptoms improved as this is the Rx used for severe blepharitis/acne rosacea.......just a thought.

I hope this has been helpful for you. If so, please press the accept button.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yeah those replies surely got close!

Thank you for detailed response, I will follow up on your recommendations. However I'm quite sure that the eye symptoms are connected with urinary tracts symptoms as the period between the succesfull doxyline cure and the recurrence of the illness followed for the eyes as well as for the urinary tract, which I guess also answers to the question of my ocular sympoms improved during the cure. I suppose I must take this information with me also to another specialist.

Thanks again!
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

my pleasure to help. Best of luck.