Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I scratched my eye with an eye pencil....I have a red mark

Customer Question

I scratched my eye with an eye pencil....I have a red mark on my retina, but really
there is no pain.......do I still need to see an eye doctor?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you.

Dr. Rick :

Are you online?

Dr. Rick :

looks like you are no longer online.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

The retina is the photoreceptors in the very back of your eye. I would expect that your eye pencil didn't make it all the way back there :). It is more likely that you poked yourself in the cornea, which is the clear, front part of the eye.

Since you are not having any pain it is very unlikely that you caused a corneal abrasion. A corneal abrasion is where you scrape off the skin that is on your cornea. When this happens, like anytime you break the skin on your body, you have a greater risk of getting a bacterial infection. It is also very painful. This would be treated with antibiotic drops, such as vigamox, one drop 4x/day for 7 days.

All that being said, and after consulting with a local expert on eye pencils (my wife), I believe you will be OK just using natural tears eye drops to soothe your eye.

The red mark may be a bruise on your conjuctiva where a small blood vessel broke when you poked yourself. This will cause no problems in the long run and, like a bruise elsewhere, will take a few weeks to go away. Why is this bruise red when all others are purple? That is because the skin over your eye is very, very thin so you can see the red of the blood better then you would through the thick skin on my arm.

I hope that this information was helpful for you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.