Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

my 17 year old daughter has a swollen eyelid. It hurts a little

my 17 year old daughter has a swollen eyelid. It hurts a little but is not red.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Rick :

Where is the swelling and how long has it been present?

Rick :

Hi. Are you there?

JACUSTOMER-hyp2i0w9- :

her upper eyelid started yesterday and was much worse this morning

Rick :

The most common cause for local upper eyelid that is not red/hot is a chalazian, also called a stye

Rick :

Cold compress will not help nor will allergy pills

JACUSTOMER-hyp2i0w9- :

doesn't a stye usually have a bump on the lid?

Rick :

The best treatment is hot compresses. I like to take a wash cloth, soak it with warm water, put it in the microwave until it is very warm (not scalding hot or steaming) and place it against the eyelid until the cloth is cool. Repeat this as often as possible, 3 or 4 times a day...

Rick :

yes, a stye usually has a bump on the lid but it starts out as an inflammation of the meibomium gland which can be a kinda diffuse swelling

Rick :

Also, as blepharitis is usually associated with this condition, get some baby shampoo and in the shower put the shampoo on your (her) index fingers, close her eyes and scrub along the EYELASHES for 3 to 5 minutes. This will help to unplug the meibomium glands, prevent more styes from forming and help to get the swelling in the eyelid to resolve

Rick :

in my opinion there is no role for antibiotic creams or pills in this condition. It may also take weeks for the swelling to resolve. If she wears contacts she might want to use her glasses for a little while.

Rick :

does any of this make sense to you?

JACUSTOMER-hyp2i0w9- :

yes if that's what it is. It doesn't look like a stye right now though. It's just extremely puffy.

Rick :

that sounds like what it is. There are other conditions that can look like this but stye/chalazian is the most likely given what you have said. Should the entire lid become red/swollen/painful then it could be cellulitis and would need to be seen ASAP. Give the warm compress and baby shampoo lid scrubs a chance....I think it will work for her

Rick :

I hope I've been helpful. If you would be so kind as to press accept I would appreciated it. I will, of course, continue to answer your questions until all your issues have been addressed. A positive feedback and any bonus you would like to give would be appreciated.

JACUSTOMER-hyp2i0w9- :

thanks we will give it a try.

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

It was a pleasure to help you today. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you very much.

Postive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.