Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hello there, I have been suffering for the past 3months

Hello there,

I have been suffering for the past 3months with Red, swollen, dry,stinging, burning,wrinkly itchy, sometimes watery eyes. the lids have got so swollen that one of my eyes have totally closed, in the beginning it was only one eye but now it seems to be effecting both of them. there is no real pattern to this I have been watching what I eat in the case that this could be an allergic reaction but this is not the case. It is making me feel very tired and lathargic, my doctor is at a lost as to what this can be they thought it could be ezcema they prescribed me with antihistermines both strong that treats allergies and acid in the stomach but these have proved to be useless. it occurs every couple of weeks it could go away then flare up at anytime, i have been using nasal spray which seems to of taken some of the itchyness away but it has now come back with a vengence! they sting, so swollen and red. I am very pale not sure if this is due to this condition. I have also noticed that I am having fever, this may not be related to this but thought that I would mention this as I will be paying for your advice!! My skin feels tight and appears quite patchy. I hope that you can help as this is now making me very depressed!!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Rick :

Good Morning.....

Rick :

Or is it Afternoon in the UK now?

Customer :

hello, I am not sure of how this website works. it is afternoon, do you answer my question then I pay you £13?

Rick :

If you like the answer then you click on "accept" and I'm paid. If you don't like the answer, then I keep answering your question until you do or, if you never like the answer you get you just don't pay. You are in control.

Customer :

oh right ok. so what do you think to my symptons?

Rick :

It sounds like you have been through a lot with your eyes. Eczema is a good thought however I wonder if there is more then one thing going here.....

Rick :

I still think you are having some type of allergic reaction and I think you also might have something called blepharitis.

Rick :

Eyelid swelling is commonly due to a few different things: 1. Allergies, 2. Styes, 3. Blepharitis, 4. Acne Rosacae, 5. Skin infections

Customer :

yes, i have heard of that but on deeper investigation with that condition most of what I have read doesnt seem to relate to what is going on with me, i have kept an eye on everyday soaps washing powder etc and nothing has changed in my routine. it seems to come and go and now is quite 'angry' there just seems to be no pattern to this and my doctor wont or cant help me?

Rick :

Is your MD a internal medicine doctor?

Customer :

no, they are just normal day to day doctors, i was thinking of going back to be transferred to a dermatologist? what treatments would/ could you suggest?

Rick :

Other causes of eyelid swelling include less common things such as orbital inflammation, tumors and thyroid eye disease. These don't seem to be an issue in your case.

Rick :

I agree with you. You should make an appt. with a dermatologist. If your vision/eyeball seems to be involved you should also see an ophthalmologist. While you are waiting to see them I suggest you do a couple of simple things.

Rick :

First, stop all makeup around your eyes just incase this is adding to your probems (although this may not be the case). Also, get some baby shampoo and, in the shower, put the shampoo on your index fingers, close your eyelids and scrub back and forth along your eyelashes with your soapy fingers.

Rick :

This will help to remove any allergens from the area and will also treat any blepharitis, which may be contributing to your symptoms. Has you MD tried a mild steroid cream applied to your eyelids?

Rick :

putting a small amount of hydrocortazone cream 1% on the affected areas 2-3x/day should help. The only problem with this is, if you are going to see a dermatologist, using a steroid cream before seeing her may make it more difficult for her to make an accurate diagnosis.

Rick :

How long do you think it would it take you to be seen by a dermatologist?

Rick :

I hope I've been able to help you with your issue. If you would be so kind, please help me to get credit for my efforts by pressing the accept button. I will be happy to answer any other questions until your have the information you need. Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry! I'll stand bye online for a little bit more while I get ready to head to the office.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest