Dr. Stevens
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Board Certified Ophthalmologist
8112280

My 21 year old son has uneven pupils. He was told by an opthamologist

My 21 year old son has uneven pupils. He was told by an opthamologist that he is far sighted in one eye and has an astigmatism in that same eye. He said because one eye is having to work harder than the other eye he is having the uneven pupils. Could this be true?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stevens replied 3 years ago.

Hello there

how long has this been an issue ? is there a very noticeable difference in the pupil size ? how is the reaction of the pupils as tested by the ophthalmologist ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just recently noticed the problem (in the last 2 weeks). I thought the size difference was noticeable because it caught my eye. I was not at the ophthalmologist with him so I do not know what the doctor found with the reaction of the pupils, but I checked it when I noticed the problem and both eyes would constrict and dilate equally when I shined a light in his eyes. (I am not a professional) He did not think that the doctor did a thorough exam.
Thanks for your reply. The thing about one eye being more far sighted / astigmatic and working harder does not really account for the difference in pupil size. That is not one of the criteria in evaluating uneven pupil size, referred to as anisocoria. It is quite possible for it to be physiologic, meaning it is normal, if the difference is 1mm or less and the pupils react normally and the optic nerves are deemed to be normal. It is important to note that at certain lighting conditions and angles of viewing, even a small difference can look large, but do not be alarmed. Your next step is to get a more thorough evaluation. I wish him well, Regards XXXXX XXXXX

Edited by Dr. Stevens on 9/23/2010 at 2:35 PM EST
Dr. Stevens, Ophthalmologist
Experience: Board Certified Ophthalmologist