Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

after eye stroke 2years ago, had 3 retina surgeries. now no

after eye stroke 2years ago, had 3 retina surgeries. now no vision, low pressure, cornea damaged. Is there any possible hope?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question

Rick :

When you say there is no vision in you eye, do you mean 100% blind, as in no light perception at all?

Rick :

Hi. I see you are online....are you there?

Customer :

see light within 6 inches

Rick :

how low is your pressure?

Customer :

very low

Rick :

It sounds like you have had multiple, complicated intra-ocular surgeries on you eye and, despite extensive work and hope you eye has not been able to recover.

Customer :

how to check the condion of retina. eye is filled with oil

Rick :

Normal pressure inside the eye (12 to 21 mmHg) is necessary to keep the tissues of the globe healthy. Sometimes, after many surgeries or severe trauma, the cilliary body -- which is the structure in the eye that makes aqueous (eye fluid) -- is damaged or becomes "detached".

Rick :

Placing silicone oil in the eye is done in an attempt to keep the retina attached. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't

Rick :

It sounds like, even if the retina is now attached, that your cilliary body is not working anymore and this is the cause of your low pressure.

Customer :

cornea transplant will make adifferene

Rick :

When an eye has very low pressure for a long time it can lead to a condition called phthisis bulbi

Rick :

no. Replacing the cornea will, most likely, not help as that is not the most serious problem with your eye at this time.

Customer :

how to check retina condition

Rick :

I fear that your eye is heading toward phthisis, even though you can stil see some vague light out of it. Overtime your eye may shrink like a grape.

Rick :

There are a couple of ways to check the retina, even if your cornea is completely cloudy, you have a dense cataract (although I would think your natural lens has been removed at this point). The best way, in my opinion, is with ocular ultrasound in your retina specialists office.

Customer :

is artif

Customer :

doctor say because of oil ultasound not possible. is this correct

Rick :

it is difficult but not impossible. She may mean that it will not give her anymore useful information at this time

Customer :

is artificial lense would keep eye appearence natural?

Rick :

Placing an artificial lens into your eye will not do anything to change the external appearance and, if you eye is soft, it may be impossible to do. This would for sure be the case if it is phthisical.

Rick :

There is hope of having a natural appearing eye, however.....

Rick :

if your eye shrinks up like a grape, and you are not having any pain, you can have an artificial eye made by an ocularist that will match your other eye.

Customer :

what is your opinion as to what i should do?

Rick :

When I was in training many years ago there was a young girl who had an artificial eye and I couldn't tell which one was her natural eye until I looked at her in the slit lamp!

Rick :

Let me just review what you have told me up to this point. Please correct me where needed

Rick :

You have had a lot of surgery on your eye, it is filled with oil, I get the impression the cornea is not clear, the pressure is really low, and you have no useful vision in that eye. You eye is also not currently causing you any pain.

Rick :

Is all that correct?

Customer :

yes

Rick :

Ok. I understand

Rick :

One thing that is very important is for you to protect your other eye at all times. You should wear polycarbinate (bullet-proof) glasses, even if you don't need a prescription for distance vision.

Rick :

I have had a number of patients in your position over the last 16 years of practice and it is always difficult for me to say this, but from what you've told me, there is nothing that can be done for this eye. I wish that there was, but this is the most honest answer I can give you.

Customer :

my job requires me to work on a computer would this put a strain on my functioning eye

Rick :

Have no fear. Working on a computer will not damage your eyes in any way.

Rick :

I hope I've been of some help to you. If you would be so kind as to push "accept" I would appreciate it. Any feedback and bonus would also be appreciated. If you live near Dallas Texas I know a fantastic ocularist -- he has an artificial eye himself -- and I would be happy to give you his name

Customer :

thank you for your time but if any thing else useful can be done can you please email me XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Rick :

email is blocked by this computer....all I got was xxxxxxx

Customer :

mhq1 @ live .com

Rick :

that worked :)

Customer :

thanks again for your time

Customer :

take care bye

Rick :

It will be my pleasure to let you know of anything that comes along but, please, don't get too hopeful. It was a pleasure to chat with you today. bye

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest