Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

continuing double vision issue due to left eye pulling in toward

continuing double vision issue due to left eye pulling in toward nose and setting there and will not track. Some time after a keft sided 3-5 day headache and sometime not. Resolves slowly on its own anywhere from 6 weeks to 4 months. This has been a reocurring issure over 5 years. Have been to many opto, neuro, specialists with many tests done to no avail. any thoughts? Happening right now.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your problem.

Rick :

You say that this has been going on for many years and you have seen many MDs. It is going on now. Did this episode have any association to other conditions such as headache? Did any of these specialists give you a diagnosis?

Customer :

this shoulod be good with one eye patched, any thoughts

Rick :

I must admit I am confused by a "recurrant 6th nerve palsy", with no observable reason for it (ie: No lesion, no infection etc) causing it as the final answer for your condition

Rick :

sounds like you have been through the mill on this one.

Customer :

i did have a left side headach for 4 day befor the double started. I have had chonic head pain on the left sidr for yeas. hte head pain is gone. the only diagnosis has been possible 6 nerve paulsy. they pretty much gave up.

Customer :

have veen en had a , can't thin of the name, the wire that goe throughthe body into the brain with the dye.

Rick :

I am sorry to hear that they have given up. Of course, many times the cause for something is not seen at first and, over time, -- if it is something bad -- it gets worse and the cause is obvious. I would think that 5 years is more then enough time to wait

Rick :

angiogram

Rick :

The good news is that it, truely, could be just some sort of weird recuring CN6 palsey.........sounds like one for the textbooks.

Rick :

If you have not yet traveled to a high tech teaching/research hospital I would recommend doing so. For strange unknown diseases I recommend either Wills Eye Hospital in PA or the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN

Customer :

yes, that is it. found nothing. They say no tumor, clots, strokes, etc., so live with...so I'm away on the look out for an answer. the episodes can happen twice a year or every year, this time its been 15 months since my last one.

Rick :

Making sure, of course, that they have access to all your records, xrays, studies etc before your appt so that they can review them.

Rick :

It is good to know that it is nothing fatal or nasty but, I agree with you, it would be great to know what it is. And yes, an eye patch will "solve" the double vision -- but not the mystery

Customer :

Mayo was no help...was not aware of Wills, not sure if it is even worth the effort. sounts like my life's not on the line, I still have my sight., I';m bless...won't waste anymore of your time...thanks

Rick :

many times CN6 palsey can be traced to some sort of microvascular event or infection (such as recurrent herpes/shingles). I'm sure they tested for all that.

Rick :

you are not wasting my time. I thank you for the chance to think about your issue. I just wish I was more help.

Rick :

If you ever do get a diagnosis I'd love to hear from you......

Customer :

I'll keep that in mind...until then

Rick :

It was a pleasure to chat with you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit by pressing the accept button. Have a good day and think about giving the folks at Wills Eye Hosptial a call, perhaps they can recommend someone on staff who could help.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest