Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

me if i get hit in the eye..head..my vision

Customer Question

if i have x linked juvinileretinal schesis hoe dangerous is it for me if i get hit in the eye or head could i lose my vision is some one going to answer my question
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Rick :

As you know X-linked juvenile retianoschisis (xljrs) causes splitting of your retina at the level of the nerve fiber layer. A reduction in vision is observed from about age 4 until about age 20, at which time it usually becomes stable.

Rick :

Then, around age 50 or 60 the vision starts to get worse again with the onset of macular damage. The final vision is usually in the 20/100 range.

Rick :

I see you are online. Do you know if you have peripheral retinal schisis cavities?

Customer :

my brothers and i still fluctuate quite a bit my oldest brother 31 has just stabalised yes

Customer :

and how danferous is it for me if i get hit like in sports or boxing

Rick :

It is rare for xljrs to cause retinal detachment although, in patients with large peripheral retinal schisis cavities might be a slightly higer risk of a detachment when compaired to patients without them

Rick :

I guess that is the doctor way of saying you should be fine doing sports, although I wouldn't recommend that you let Mike Tyson hit you in the head!

Rick :

Retinal diseases is an interest of mine, although I am not a retinal specialist. What else can I answer for you?

Rick :

Are you still there?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.
I hope that has answered your question. It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.