Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I went to the opthamologist and was told that I had an eye

I went to the opthamologist and was told that I had an eye infection from wearing my contacts too much. I was on Vigamox for 2 weeks prescribed by my primary care physician and then when I went to see the opthamologist he put me on a steroid/antinfective combo. I have not worn my contacts for over a month now and am done with all of my medication but my eyes are still pinkish! It looks better than it did but it does not look normal. Is it possible that my eyes are just more ugly and veiny than a normal persons from years of contact use? They do not hurt and have no discharge. I don't think I have an eye infection anymore. But, I am afraid to put in my contacts again. Please help.

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

After a eye infection -- it sounds like you had a corneal ulcer -- the conjunctiva can have thicker blood vessels in it then it used to. These larger, thicker blood vessels can make your eyes look more "pinkish" as you put it.

This increase color on the white part of your eye should be nothing to be concerned about and will not cause any difficulty with going back to contact lens wear.

One thing I do want to caution you about though is not to use drops "to get the red out" to make your eyes look more white. These drops work by constricting the blood vessels for a short time which is followed by an even larger increase in the size of the veins!

The take home message? Go ahead and wear your contacts....as long as you follow up with your ophthalmologist as scheduled.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.