Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon

Hi I have had a strange occurrence in the top corner of my

I have had a strange occurrence in the top corner of my right eye since yesterday morning. It is very intermittent. Yesterday it was as if I was seeing a tiny piece of gold glitter - today it is more undefined as like a very fine dark line. It goes if I try to look at it.
I do get migraine headaches but have never had any visual disturbances.

I had retrobulbar neuritis 28 years ago after the birth of my 3rd daughter but it was treated with steroids and cleared up. (Also the right eye.)

I'm probably anxious as I had a car accident 2 weeks ago - my car ended up on it's roof. Apart from cuts and bruises I was ok.

Any ideas? Do I need to panic?

Welcome to Just Answer:

It is likely that you are experiencing the symptoms of trace/small bleed inside the eye following the car accident, which is now clearing - with changing color. Another possibility is that the accident caused the formation of posterior vitreous detachment (PVD). PVD is the melting and/or loose attachment of the vitreous (clear gel inside the eye) from the retina (back of the eye), and often cause visual disturbance or sensation. It is unlikely related to migraine. However, your past history of retrobulbar neuritis in the right could have put the right eye at increased risk of injury from any trauma such as the recent accident. In general, either the trace/small bleed or PVD is not harmful unless they are severe, and cause frequent and significant visual obstruction. The bleed will resolve with time, but may leave a non-harmful occasional floater, as with the PVD. However, I suggest that you follow-up with your eye doctor (ophthalmologist) for closer evaluation with dilated eye examination to exclude any retinal tear or break which can lead to retinal detachment.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

So there is no likelihood of brain tumour or similar? If I see my doc on Friday, will that be soon enough?

Thanks for your help.