Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

Hi i had cataract removal last wednesday, i didtn know my eye

Hi i had cataract removal last wednesday, i didtn know my eye was going to be so blurred and i am worried as i have to have other eye done a week wednesday , is it going to clear?? karen
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Rick :

Did your doctor say anything about complications during the surgery or mention anything unusual during your post op visit?

Rick :

Also, was the vision better after the surgery and is now worse?

Rick :

Hi. Are you still online?

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Hi. It seems that you are offline now.

How quickly your vision clears after cataract surgery depends upon many factors:

1. The type of surgery performed: no stitch, ECCE,combined with other surgery such as glaucoma etc.

2. Any complications during the surgery or post op.

3. power of intraocular lens implanted and how closely it corrects your refractive error.

4. condition of the cornea post op; residual astigmatism etc...

Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

It is very possible that your vision could still be blurry in your operated eye and everything still be OK. This would be the case, for example, if you needed glasses after the surgery to obtain your sharpest final vision. In this case you vision would not be the best it could be before going ahead with surgery in the other eye.

For patients who will need glasses after cataract surgery it is not unusual to wait to prescribe new glasses until both eyes have recovered from the operation.

If you have a chance and can give me some more information about your specific situation I'll be happy to try and provide more a more indepth answer. The best person, of course, to bring your concerns to is your surgeon.

I hope my answer has helped. It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I was told that it can be days or weeks before the fuzziness or blurriness in eye goes away
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
That is not an unusual amount of time for the vision to clear, especially if you had you cataract surgery by the ECCE method.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
what is ecce method?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it was done by that method
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.

Hi.

When cataract surgery is done by the extracapsular cataract extraction (ECCE) method it takes a little longer for your final, best corrected vision to be achieved. This is because the incision made is larger then that used by the Phaco (small incision) method. Both techniques are safe and effective and the final visual outcome is usually the same.

I wish you good luck on your surgery next week. It sounds like you are in excellent hands.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.