Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I have slight swelling and pain around my eye and by my cheek.

I have slight swelling and pain around my eye and by my cheek. It has been 2 days and of course I think the worse. I am 40 years old and in good health. What should I do?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question. Has your vision been affe

Customer :

DOes not seem to have been affecdted. WHen I wake up perhaps slightly blurry

Rick :

has your vision been affected? Do you have any other medical problems, or issues with your teeth?

Customer :

I don't think so, but funny you mention it because it feels like the pain is localized around where my jaw meets near my eye. If that makes sense?

Rick :

tell me a little bit more about where the swelling is in relation to your eye/orbit and where the pain is......

Customer :

Swelling is just under left eye and towards the left side of the cheek bone (just under the eye). The pain is really not bad, it is an irritation, but obviously scaring me. It also feels like I have tension in my lower neck, so I am wondering if I slept worng?

Rick :

Sleeping wrong can cause neck discomfort which could spread to the jaw area. It is also possible that you have an issue with the TMJ joint, which is the area where the lower jaw connects to the upper jaw. Another possibility is an issue with the teeth/gums or maxillary sinus.

Customer :

SO like so many of us non-doc's we jump to brain tumor:) SOunds like it might be more of a relation to teeth/gums as a first check up. COrrect? I have 2 small kids and a wife, so you can see the freakin' out I think?

Rick :

If your eye, eyelids or orbital areas don't seem to be the primary locus of the swelling and discomfort I would tend to lean toward the jaw/teeth/sinus as the first place to check.

Rick :

I agree with you :0). If you think being a non-doc causes you to jump to the fatal diagnosis first for every ache and pain you should try being a first year medical student!! I must have had 100 deadly diseases that first year.....

Customer :

Thanks. XXXXX give it a couple of days or should I see a dentist today/tomorrow? Is this something that will self correct?

Customer :

I guess getting straight to the point, do you think if it were something serious, the swelling would be really noticeable? As of now, I cannot even say for sure if it is swollen?

Rick :

I agree....call a DDS if things persist. It is hard to tell since I can't see you....but I get the feeling that you could continue to watch things at this point with the hope that it will get better on it's own and call a DDS or see a primary care MD in the near future should things not resolve or get worse. I hope I have been helpful. Please press "accept" so I can get credit. I'll be happy to answer any other questions until you have the best answer possible. It has been a pleasure chatting with you.

Rick :

Take home message? I think your gonna live.....watchful waiting sound fine. No need to rush out and get life insurance to save the wife and kids :)

Rick :

I've got 5 kids so I know what your going through somewhat.....

Rick :

Have a great day. Is there anything else I can answer for you?

Customer :

Just one more thing.....If it is in fact TMJ or related, does this cause headaches as well. I have had headaches for literally years going back to high school, but never any dizziness or vomiting, etc

Customer :

so all the docs told me nothing to worry about. FUnny if it turned out to be this.

Rick :

That is out of my area of expertese, but coming from a family with 3 dentists in it I can say that, yes, TMJ can contribute to headaches. It is unlikely, however, that you have suffered from TMJ since HS without having it diagnosed. Headaches can come from a million different things and, in my experience, headaches that have been going on for 3 decades are usually not from some terrible disease.

Customer :

Thanks! Have a great day

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest