Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

i have a prickle behind my right eye like a pin is scratching

i have a prickle behind my right eye like a pin is scratching me
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Do you know if anything has gotten in that eye?
When did this start?
What have you tried?

Customer :

it started this morning and dont think anything in my eye

Dr. James :

Do you still feel something scratching your eye?

Customer :

yes it is like a sratch but behind my eye

Dr. James :

Do you have any change in vision?

Customer :

no

Customer :

the other day the same eye the pupil was very dilated all day

Dr. James :

Is it still dilated?
Was it both pupils or just one that was dilated?

Customer :

just one and no it is not dilated

Dr. James :

My initial though was a small scratch on the front of the eyes or a foreign body from an eyelash. Your eye can have trouble in localizing where exactly you have pain, but it is unlikely to be behind your eye. The dilated pupil does not match with a foreign body.

For now, you can use artificial tears to lubricate your eyes. I'd recommend you see an eye doctor to ensure that the pupils are normal and that there is no inflammation inside your eyes.

Customer :

ok but it is deffinetly behind my eye

Dr. James :

A good exam to look for inflammation in the retina and optic nerve is important if it is definitely behind the eye.

Customer :

ok do you think a hospital or eye shop

Dr. James :

I'm not sure the qualifications of the eye specialists in the UK. You will need a dilated exam. If the eye shop only takes pictures instead of looking with a light and lenses, then I'd recommend the hospital.

Customer :

ok thank you

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Customer :

ok

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon