Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

A recent eyetest shows I have a dot heammorage. I had to see

A recent eyetest shows I have a dot heammorage. I had to see a doctor to get a referal to the eye clinic and this doctor I saw tested my blood pressure and said it was sky high and gave me a prescription for blood pressure. 2 days before seeing this doctor I had a blood pressure test and was told it was just on the border and nothing to worry about so why 2 days later is it sky high! I told this doctor that I am vegan etc and that I am loathe to take prescription drugs, he then told that it was up to me and that he would not be responsible if anything happened to me, he then said if I dont take the medication I should go to the surgery for blood pressure checks for a couple of weeks to see if there is any change in pressure. I really felt uncomfortable with this doctor and the worry of all this is stopping me eating and Im losing weight. Please please help me. Thank you for any advice. Linda in England.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Hello Linda,
  • Normal blood pressure less than 120/80

• Pre-hypertension 120-139/ 80-89

• High blood pressure (stage 1) 140-159/90-99

• High blood pressure (stage 2) higher than 160/100
Blood pressure above 160/100 needs to be addressed urgently. Sustained elevated blood pressure puts you at risk for stroke, heart attack, and kidney failure. I understand your uncomfortableness with taking prescription medications.

If you have moderate hypertension, observation and rechecking the blood pressure is OK. If your pressure above 160/100, then I agree with your doctor that you need to get the blood pressure checked again soon to ensure that it was one abnormal reading and most of the time the pressure if fine.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.