Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

I went to a doctor and have 2 lumps in the eyelids and he told

I went to a doctor and have 2 lumps in the eyelids and he told me to put a hot compress on them and it is not doing anything, it is called a cheilasion. is that all to do as it is not helping and i am scared as it is getting worse.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

Rick :

How long have you been doing the hot compress?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Never even got a answer
Hi. I just posted an answer.....I'm not sure why it hasn't shown up yet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

not accepting my temp password XXXXX still no answer for you.

something is going on with the system that I don't understand. I can't get back into chat mode and my answer has not posted yet.

Can you read this message? If so, I can answer your question again this way....

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes i see this.

Ok then....we'll just do it this way, if that is OK with you. Sorry about all of this :0)

A chalazian is a plugged up meibomian gland in your eyelid. Without treatment they can take up to a year to heal but with warm compresses and eyelid scrubs they can heal in a few months.

I am going to break up this into a few segments so I know you are getting it.....OK?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can you call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX

Warm compresses help your body to reabsorb the cottage-cheese like material that is inside the chalazian. If this is not working for you there are a couple of options. One is to inject a long acting steroid into the chalazian which usually helps it to resolve in a few weeks. One of the major risks of steroid injection into the eyelid is the loss of pigment. For this reason I do not usually recommend this course of action.

Are you still able to read these posts?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes so far, thank god.

the computer blocks out phone numbers....I just got a bunch of X's.....

When warm compresses aren't working I recommend that the lesion be incised and drained. This is a simple office procedure where your eyelid is numbed with a small amount of lidocaine, a special clamp is placed over the chalazian and a small incision is made into the lesion with a scalpel. The cottage-cheese like material is scraped out, the clamp is removed and a small amount of antibiotic ointment is placed on the incision. Your eye may be patched closed for a few hours or it might not. In any event this resolves the chalazain very quickly.

Usually people who have chalzians also have a condition called blepharitis. Blepharitis is the inflammation and plugging up of other glands on your eyelids. Scrubbing your eyelashes in the shower with your fingers coated with baby shampoo is the best therapy for this condition. It will also help to prevent the recurrence of the chalazians.

I hope this answered your question. I have no idea what happened with the system tonight but I'm glad we were able to communicate -- even though it was the hard way --and hopefully help you feel better. If I've answered you question please press "accept" so I get credit. I'll stay online for a bit longer (it's getting late in my part of the world and I've got surgery tomorrow....) to make sure you are OK.

Thanks for letting me help you.

hope you got all that. Any other questions?