Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

my son was lifting weights and his eye became red and started

my son was lifting weights and his eye became red and started bothering him. He went to the school nurse and they said he has a conjunctival abrasion after putting a dye in his eye. They gave him gentamycin opthamolic solution to put in his eye 4x per day. Does the solution make sense to you? Should he avoid significant physical activity? He's at a boarding school so we're getting information by phone from the school nurse.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick :

Hi. I'll be happy to help you. Are you still on line?

The use of gentamycin eye drops 4x/day is fine to use for what I believe is a corneal, and not a conjuctival, abrasion. The only issue I have is my lack of confidence that a school nurse can correctly make this diagnosis using flourescein and a black light.

As long as he is not a contact lens wearer it is OK to use the drops now. If he has only a minor scratch it should be resolved by tomorrow. If things are not back to normal by then he should be evaluated by an ophthalmologist to make sure he doesn't have a more serious problem such as a foreign body, uvieits or corneal ulcer.

Of course, that being said, the safest course of action would be to have him evaluated by an ophthalmologist tonight. It is impossible to know how aggressive to be when your child is so far away and in the care of others....there is no absolutely right answer in these circumstances.

He does not need to refrain from physical activity.

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.