Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

endoscopic..doing this is a ear nose and throat man

I have been scheduled for a endoscopic left dacryocystorhinostomy under a general anes. the dr. doing this is a ear nose and throat man. Is this necessary? could I possibly have my duct opened with maybe just stint in the tear duct?

Hello and thanks for your question.

I think you always have other options, but unfortunately for you, they are not all palatable ones. Option one is to wait a while and see if the constant tearing reverts back to the slight tearing you had before the infection. Option two is to have an evaluation by an ophthalmologist to determine if there are other causes for your tearing (there can be many causes for tearing, not just an obstructed tear duct). Option three is trying an over-the-counter nasal spray such as Afrin (if okay with your doctor) to see if that helps any obstruction you may be having (sometimes the obstruction is in the nasal passageways and not necessarily in the upper tear duct).

But I do think it is always appropriate to get a second opinion. If you really want to get the best, XXXXX XXXXX second opinion for this tearing problem, I would see an orbital/oculoplastics specialist. This is an ophthalmologist (eye surgeon) who has sub-specialty training in doing exactly these kinds of surgeries and would be very facile in the workup, diagnosis and treatment of these disorders.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I want to make sure I am spelling this correctly you told me to see a Orbital Oculoplastics specilist ??
Yes that is correct. They are synonymous with each other. An orbital specialist is the same as an oculoplastics specialist--the two titles usually are said of the same person.