Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

my optometrist..red bump on my upper eyelid and my eye is crusted

Developed a stie about 3 weeks ago. After home traitment (advise from my optometrist) some of it drained but now I have a red bump on my upper eyelid and my eye is crusted by the morning. Very bothersome.

Any advise what can I do about it?

Hello and thank you for your question.

It sounds as though you have been doing the correct treatment for these styes, which is essentially hot compresses with massages. The polysporin also helps.

Now, though, that it has drained somewhat and you are still left with a red bump on the eyelid, you will likely need this opened up by an ophthalmologist in the office. I think an antibiotic/steroid ointment (instead of drops) might work better in the meantime. Also, doing the hot compresses 4x/day, 10 minutes each time, as hot as you can tolerate may also help this drain further, but if it doesn't then you will need to have that minor procedure done by your ophthalmologist.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.