Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

Hello, I would like to ask whether heavy use of LCD computer

I would like to ask whether heavy use of LCD computer screen or TV can damage eyes. Can it worsen your vision?

Thank you!
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

There is no evidence that heavy use of an LCD computer screen or even TV screen can damage your eyes. It also would not cause a permanent worsening in your vision. However, prolonged staring at anything can cause the eyes to dry out some and that can affect the moment-to-moment vision, causing blurry vision that often improves with blinking. This drying of the eyes is usually temporary unless there are other factors causing dry eyes.

Does this help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you very much for your answer Dr. DanB. I have visited an eye doctor a year ago and she told me the same thing as you did now. But yesterday I visited another eye doctor and she told me that there was some kind of Japanese study that evidenced eye damage because of heavy PC use. I personally think that it is nonsense. Are you aware of this kind of study, please?

I am not personally aware of this study; I can try to find that for you if you like, but the fact that it has not been corroborated by any other study and also by the fact that there is no follow-up research on this subject suggests to me that it does not carry much clinical weight. As far as double-masked, randomized, controlled research trials that study this effect, there has been no definitive research showing this damage.

Does that help?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes thank you Dr. I am not sure whether it's the right study but maybe it's this one:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/4008185.stm

Could you please have a quick look and tell me what you think. That is the last thing, thank you very much!

That is an interesting study, but I think it is biased. Japanese people (and most Asian people) tend to have shorter (in length) eyes. A shorter eye is more likely to have and/or develop glaucoma, so that's why the study is biased. As far as eye strain, this is a common phenomenon in people who use their eyes heavily, such as computer users.

Does that make sense?

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology