Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

surgery was great -- my eyelid now closes when I blink

I had a gold implant put into my eyelid a few months ago. The surgery was great -- my eyelid now closes when I blink, but the area remains swollen. Steroids help to reduce the swelling, but it returns as soon as I cease the steroids. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 6 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

Given your symptoms and the things you've tried to combat the swelling, I suspect one of two things is happening:

1. You may be allergic to the implant--it is not uncommon to have an allergic or intolerance reaction to a metal like this.

or

2. This may represent a low-lying infectious process caused by a contaminated implant; if there is a nidus of infection associated with the implant, then it may not resolve, even with Cipro and may need to be explanted. Also, Keflex might be a better antibiotic to consider for this condition.

Does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I will also be happy to answer any other questions until you have the information you need.

Any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated. Thanks for your inquiry!

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must see an eye doctor.