Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

what if someone with herpes sperm get in your eyes will it

Customer Question

what if someone with herpes sperm get in your eyes will it affect the eyes forever?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

When you say "herpes sperm" I believe you are saying that the man has an active, open herpetic lesion on his penis and sperm got in the eye.

In a healthy eye, with normal tear film and intact corneal epithelium I believe the chance of someone contacting ocular herpes from an incident of sperm getting in their eyes is very, very small. Washing the eye with sterile saline, of if that is not available, clean tap water to remove the sperm will help a lot. Also if the lesion is on the penis there should not be that high of a concentration of herpes virus in the sperm, if there is any at all.

If there is no open, active lesion on the penis the risks are much lower of contracting ocular herpes from the incident you describe.

So what is the take home message here? Don't worry about coming down with a lifelong infection of ocular herpes from getting sperm in you eyes as you described. Of course, if the man does have herpes, it is a good idea to use a condom at all times as herpes virus can be present even if there is no visible active lesion.

I hope this has helped. Please press accept to allow me to receive credit you answering your question. I will be happy to answer any further questions you may have until this issue is resolved. Have a good day.