Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

What does your eye pressure need to be at in order to be considered

What does your eye pressure need to be at in order to be considered someone who may be at risk and need to use the eye drops or possible laser surgery? Mine is running 17-18.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

Good Morning

Dr. James :

What was the highest pressure measured for you?

Dr. James :

How much nerve damage do you have?

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

18

Dr. James :

Normal pressure is from 10-21.

Dr. James :

If you doctor sees nerve damage, that may indicate glaucoma, even with pressure of 18.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

My left eye seems to be very limited. Been told my right eye looks as he put it "funky"

Dr. James :

The goal is to reduce the eye pressure from 20-30% from the highest pressure.

Dr. James :

In your case, the goal would be a pressure from 12-15.

Dr. James :

If the medicines do not lower the pressure, then the next step is laser.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

Do you think laser surgery would be my best option.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

How safe is it?

Dr. James :

It is commonly done and regarded as safe.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

Am I at risk of eye damage?

Dr. James :

If you are adverse to laser, then you can consider other eye drops such as Timolol or Alphagan.

Dr. James :

With any eye surgery/laser, there is always a small risk.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

How do they differ from what I have used?

Dr. James :

Risk of bleeding, scarring, damage to neighboring tissues.

Dr. James :

The work on different receptors of the eyes.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

I assume from your resume that you have done many of these surgeries, is this what you would recommend that is best overall?

Dr. James :

It really depends on the extent of the nerve damage. If the damage is mild, then you can take your time with trying different eye drops. If more severe, then we try to be more aggressive.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

Then I should probably ask the eye doctor I am going to what extent of nerve damage is he seeing. I think laser surgery should be the last option if the nerve damage in minimal is that correct?

Dr. James :

No, laser is an intermediate option. Eyedrops are the first line, then laser. The last option is surgery to create an alternate site of drainage for the eye.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

Okay. This has really helped me alot. Thank you so much Dr. James. This has beem very scary for me and when my eye doctor started talking to me about doing this laser surgery I immediately think about the horror stories you hear about that type of surgery. However, I am going to a very highly recommended specialist here so at least I am a littler more educated so to ask the right questions. Once again thank you for your help.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

JACUSTOMER-h06geon3- :

Okay.