Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

How can I get rid of eye strain I have been trying to get

How can I get rid of eye strain?

I have been trying to get rid of eye strain the past month and have not been able to.
My eyes were okay until I read a large article on maximumpc.com
Now I am just unable to recover.
I use a PC for about 10 hours a day.(Word Processing/Web Browsing)
I have had whole weekends off, but the eye strain would return on the Monday.
I am unable to take a week or two off.
I have an ergonomic set-up.
I do my best to take a break once an hour.
I have tried eye exercises.
Doubt changing my diet will do anything
Used wet hot/cold cloth on eyes as well as ice pack which provide temporary relief.
Put face in a bucket of hot water
The heat provides temporary relief.
When I wake in the morning my eyes feel dry when I first open them.
I try to relax my eyes before going to bed and throughout the day.
I have got artificial tears but that doesn't do anything.

Symptoms: Sore eyes, eye twitching.

So has anybody had a similar issue that they have resolved?
Is it possible to recover from eye strain without boycotting TV/PC?

I use natural reader to read large quantities of text. So when I get rid of this and my eyes are a full strength it shouldn't come back.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

How old are you?
When was you last eye exam?
Are you using any eye drops?

Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
It appears you are offline.

Depending on your age, the eye strain may be due to decreased ability to focus. Many people in the 40s will start needing reading glasses to see clearly up close. If your prescription is mild, you may be able to use the inexpensive over the counter readers.

If you have not had a recent eye exam, then you may want to get an updated glasses prescription regardless of age. The improved clarity with glasses helps relieve some of the eye strain.

The symptoms you describing may also be related to dry eyes. People tend to blink less when they are reading or concentrating intently. This decrease blink rate may also be contributing to you eye strain. I recommend to patients to take breaks every 10-15 minutes or so. Look away from the computer, across the room to "reset" your focus.

Regular lubrication with artificial tears, 4-6 times day can help as well.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am using eye drops
I am 19
I have perfect vision

Can you tell me just how long it can take for you eyes to fully recover from eye strain?

My main issue is recovering to a non strained state once this is achieved what you said should stop it from returning. But I don't know how long it can take and if it is going to be months that is just to long of a period to do nothing, that if is nothing is the only way to recovery.

In general just opening my eyes has a burning sensation.
I am having trouble differentiating the difference between dry eyes and eye strain
I believe strain means you muscle is sore from concertrating to long where dry means there isn't enough tears over the eyes. So which one is the burning sensation dry eyes makes more sense I supose. If it was just an issue of dry eyes pouring half a bottle of artificial tears of my eye ball would fix it right? Well I have tried that and everything else that I can think of.

So there is no magical cure like Deep Heat for the eye to fix it?

Why do my eyes feel dry when I wake up? My lids have been close all night.

Today my eye has been feeling particularily bad I do think that it is because I may have got Proactiv in or on my eye aned my eye lids have puffed up. Do you reckon that some chemical has gotten in my eye and is causing it to be extra burny.
Here is someone in a similar boat
http://www.spodesabode.com/discussion/286/coping-with-eye-strain/
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Though it feels as if your eye muscles are "strain", they are not really. When your eyes are irritated, it can cause the feeling of eye soreness, strain, heaviness, burning, or blurry vision.

Once you treat the underlying problem it should not take long to resolve, possibly a few days to weeks. In severe cases it may take months. I think long hours on the computer may contribute to the problem, so resting your eyes every 10-15 minutes should help.

Even with "perfect vision", some people can benefit from glasses. These are particular true for patients who are farsighted.

The burning in the morning may mean your might not be closing your eyes fully at night. You should have someone observe you while you sleep. An eye ointment before bedtime may help it from drying out.

There are many causes of irritated eyes leading to eye strain. Unfortunately, using artificial tears may not be the only answer. I'd recommend you see an eye doctor so he can tailor the treatment to you.

Edited by Dr. James on 9/9/2010 at 2:40 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I did see an eye specalist and he said your eyes look a bit puffed and dry so here is some fluorometholone for your puffed eye lids and use these artificial tears, he also said that there is no evidence that eye exercises work, thats all I really got out of him for a $120

That is why I am here to see if you can give me additional advice, I have read quite a few articles so I know a fair bit and am not overly confident that I will be able to resolve it, this is like a last option. I seriously feel like throwing my PC in the bin & becoming a farmers and never reading a screen again.

I can't see why somebody here can't tell me what a doctor could the only thing is that you can't actually look at my eye but I have already told you what the doctor said after his physical examination.

So do computer glasses really make a difference?
They seem to think they do here but it is probably just marketing.
http://www.stretchnow.com.au/products/for_the_eyes.htm

Is there something that a doctor could prescibe me that might be useful?

So we can say it isn't eye strain because eye strain really is an overworked muscle and I know if you go to a gym and work out say you bicepts they will recover in 1 - 3 days. So I am just not understanding why they are sore, not strained nor just dry because they are still bad after many drops of tears are placed.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Screen Radiation??
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
Screen Radiation??

No.

I would really appreciate an ACCEPT so I can get credit for my time.
Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the accept.

Have you tried prescription reading glasses?
How long have you been using the eye drops?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I haven't tried prescription glasses to be honest I thought glasses were just for people with bad eye sight.

I have been using eye drops for a month.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.

Even with good vision, most everyone will have a small prescription. In most cases, they don't need glasses, but with a lot of reading the extra clarity may help. You may also ask your optometrist if a reading adjustment may be helpful. This may relax the focusing muscles inside your eyes and reduce any eye strain you may feel.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay I may have a chat to an optometrist some time.
I have found a great resource at
http://www.dryeyezone.com

Thankyou for your time
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome.