Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

Woke up with the loss of my central vision. Went to Opthamologis

Customer Question

Woke up with the loss of my central vision. Went to Opthamologist and he sent me to Retina specialist. No detached retina. Swelling and fluid leaking - - - Dr. did Sed Rate and CRP and both were within normal limits. Told to take aspirn daily to get blood flowing and to follow up in about 6 weeks. There is no improvement with my vision - What are your thought about more testing and will my vision possibly come back? It has been 3 weeks.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Customer :

Thanks

Dr. A.S. Desai :

There is a possibility of a central retinal artery occlusion/ central retinal vein occlusion.

Customer :

What does this mean? Dr. did eye scan, and the test with the dye.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Usually low dose aspirin is given with the intention of improving the circulation of the blood in the retinal vessels.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I suspect that there is likelihood of cystoid macular edema , which could have been the cause of reduced vision for so long.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If you have had an episode of ischemic type of central vein occlusion , it does carry a poor prognosis as far as visual recovery is concerned.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, sorry but the only text I can see from your end is that you have either entered or stepped out of the chat.

Customer :

I was put on the 325 Aspirn and vision has not improved. Is there anything else I should do while I wait for my next appointment? It seems like my good eye is not as good but I know I am using it more. What would cause this to happen so sudden - - I woke up in the middle of the night and the central vision was gone (grey band across) i had gotten hot the evening before and rubbed both eyes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Press the enter button to send a reply

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A central retinal vein occlusion is known to have a sudden onset ( just the way you have experienced). It is not related to rubbing the eyes. It is infact more common in those with hypertension or diabetes.

Customer :

I am on BP med but it is under control and no diabetes.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can discuss with your ophthalmologist about no improvement of vision inspite of 3 weeks and whether there is any sign of cystoid macular edema. If present it needs to be treated with lasers . Post laser , you may get some improvement in vision.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I'm afraid , I still cannot see your replies.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

hello??

Customer :

Have you not received any of my replies? I hit the reply button - - --

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ah , the first reply is now on my screen.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Inspite of good control of hypertension , a CRVO can occur.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is unfortunate that your vision has not improved, but you can request for an earlier appointment so as to enquire about the probability of macular edema being there.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Instead of hitting on the reply button , try hitting the "enter" button on the keyboard.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you gone through my answer?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is there any thing else that you would like to ask?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

switching over to the "question and answer " pattern so that both of us can read each others replies. Right now I wonder why I 'm unable to recieve your replies but for a message which states that you have either entered or stepped out of the chat.

Sorry about switching over to Q and A pattern as I felt we could not communicate properly in chat.

From the information provided, I gather that you experienced a sudden loss of vision in one eye, for which you consulted an ophthalmologist , who conducted various eye tests including an eye scan and dye test( fundus fluorescein angiography) and found retinal swelling and leakage. Your major concern is for the poor visual recovery inspite of 3 weeks of oral aspirin.

I suspect that you have had an episode of ischemic central retinal vein occlusion with cystoid macular edema( CME), often seen in those with hypertension ( even if well controlled with medicines). The CME can be treated to some extent with lasers otherwise only time can help to heal such lesions. The ischemic type does carry a poor visual recovery. It may even take 2-3 months for visual improvement.

You can discuss this with your ophthalmologist , if possible at an earlier appointment , so as to ask if lasers will help in the event of CME being there.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist