Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

my mom had 4 doses of avastin injection,for macular edema in

Customer Question

my mom had 4 doses of avastin injection,for macular edema in r eye and after the last injection she couldn't see at all.doctor took her to or,gave antibiotic eye wash,and culture done,which showed streptococcus mitis/oralis organism,and she is on vanco and cefazolin drops every other hour since last 24 days.also on every hour durazol drops+atropin drops q4 h,xibromdrops q 4 hr.she is taking po prednisone and completed po levaquin.she still can't see,and have pain in her eye.is ther any possibility she will be able to see again?is ther any better treatment she can get for it? she is a diabetic and hypertensive patient.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I'm sorry about your mother's complication. Unfortunately, this significant eye infection is an uncommon but definitely real complication of doing these intraocular injections. It sounds as though your doctor has taken the necessary and standard steps for treatment of this overwhelming eye infection.

How her visual outcome plays out is quite variable. Depending on the eye's response to the medicines given (through injections and drops), it is possible that she may regain some vision in that eye. Unfortunately, however, the likelihood that she regains the level of vision prior to the injection is low.

By way of other/better treatments, I would say that other or changed treatments could and should be given if there continues to be significant inflammation in the eye and the culture results indicate that she needs a different antibiotic. Other than this, however, there really are no other proven treatments for this infection (endophthalmitis) than what she has received.

I'm sorry for your mother's complication. I hope she does well. Did that answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Experience: Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
can you tell me what causes this infection?how long it will take to clear the infection?
There are various types of bacteria that can cause this infection. Depending on bacterial resistance and the specific type of bacteria, the time to clear the infection can vary greatly. Unfortunately, what usually ends up affecting the ultimate overall vision is the body's immune response to the infection which is usually robust and can cause much collateral damage to the eye, and therefore to the vision.