Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

It feels like something has been stuck in my eye for a few

It feels like something has been stuck in my eye for a few months now, and it is constantly irritating. What might it be?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is this foreign body sensation only in one eye or in both eyes?

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

just in one

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

in the left eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Some common causes for such symptoms are misdirected eyelash, presence of concretions( kind of degeneration of the conjunctiva), pinguecula or an early pterygium ( both being types of conjunctival degenerations).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Have you observed any raised yellowish tiny bleb near the junction of the colored part with the white of the eye?

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

a bleb?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

something like a raised lesion?

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

i notice a raised yellowish thing on both sides of where the iris and the white of the eyes meet, but this is in both eyes

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

very slight yellow

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

so it looks like <o> in each eyes

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

*eye

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

the < > being the raised yellowish parts

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Does it look like this image? follow this link to view the image of a pinguecula-

Dr. A.S. Desai :

http://media.photobucket.com/image/pinguecula/LinneaRetina/2006/pinguecula.jpg?o=4

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Pinguecula is a harmless condition of the eye and does not require any specific treatment but for lubricating eye drops for soothening effect.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

such a.s preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

what about how something feels like it's moving around in my left eye?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you mean to say that there is irritation from something moving in front of your left eye?

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

it is moving around within my eyelids, not quite in front of the iris but around the whites

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

*white

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

but i can't see anything in there

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I guess you will need a closer look at the eye by an ophthalmologist ( slit lamp examination), so as to look for a proper explanation for your symptom. I would certainly want to rule out a misdirected eyelash ( it is usually so fine that it is missed by naked eye examination but can be picked up by slit lamp examination).

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If at all found it can easily be epilated ( pulled out).

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

so if it's moving around, it can't be serious?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

No, i don't think that this is a very serious issue. Your symptom is basically of an eye irritation , something like a foreign body sensation, which has to be restricted to the outer walls of the eye , which are the conjunctiva or the sclera. Conditions of these structures are not quite serious and are treatable.

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

ok thank you doctor

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I believe you do not have any other eye sympXXXXX XXXXXke redness/pain/watering in your left eye. This all the more points towards a conjunctival issue which can easily be addressed.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

oh wait, i'm sorry, doctor

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

but there is watering, redness, and pain. i'm sorry, i was waiting for you to ask me more questions, but i should've been more specific

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I see. In that case , it is mandatory for a slit lamp examination of the eye by an ophthalmologist so that a few possible conditions like episcleritis/scleritis/keratitis can be ruled out . If found it will require anti-inflammatory eye drops such as steroid eye drops.

JACUSTOMER-oxyrwt1k- :

ok thank you doctor.