Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest

I recently had a mini stroke in my eye.Blood tests revealed

Customer Question

I recently had a mini stroke in my eye.Blood tests revealed I have mthfr c677,but that my levels are normal.What can I do to combat this?I was told taking vit. b-complex helps.I am seing a blood spec. 9-15
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

I would be happy to help you. I have a few questions:

1. Has there been any damage to your vision?

2. What medical conditions do you have?

3. Was your Mini-Stroke evaluated by an ophthalmologist? (M.D.). What did she call it?

4. You said a blood test showed you have "mthfr c677". Could you clarify this?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
1.min. 2.contrlled high blood pres.[20 milograms lisiniprel]3yes e.r as avien
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Hi. I'll be happy to help you with your question.

The most common type of vein occlusion in a person with hypertension is called a branch retinal vein occlusion. In the retina, veins (low pressure blood vessels) and arteries (high pressure vessels) share a common vascular sheath. With hypertension, arteriosclerosis or diabetes, the retinal arterioles become thicker with a narrower center. This stiffer artery can then press on its companion vein causing it to clot off, much like stepping on a garden hose stops the flow of water. When this occurs pressure backs up through the area drained by that vein and the retina swells and blood leaks out. If this blockage occurs in the center of your retina (the macula) vision can be greatly affected. If it does not involve the macula you central vision may be normal.

It is important to be followed closely by your ophthalmologist for this condition. She can watch for problems that may arise due to the vein occlusion such as new blood vessel growth (neovascularization), chronic macular edema or large areas of retinal ischemia. These can be treated with laser or injections.

Other then keeping your blood pressure under control and maintaining good general health there is nothing specific that you can do for your vein occlusion. I am not a large fan of vitamins and supplements beyond a healthy diet but, that being said, I believe they can't hurt when used as directed.

It was a pleasure to address your question. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
mthfr c677 shown in blood did not answer thisat all and this was my original question.please refund my 17 dollars
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 6 years ago.

Hello. I am sorry that I did not answer your question to your satisfaction.

I do not know what "mthfr c677" stands for. It might be some type of non standard abbreviation. This is the reason I asked if you could clarify that part of your question. I believe the best source for questions you might have concerning this test result is the ordering physician. The remainder of my answer addressed your eye condition, which you reported as " avien occlusion"