Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

My 8 yr old grandson has a complete peripheral vision loss

My 8 yr old grandson has a complete peripheral vision loss in his left eye and the eyelid gets droopy. He has had an MRI but thye Doctors have no answers. Unfortunately, his insurance is through "Health families/Medi-cal" and it took 3 months just to get authorized for the MRI. My son took him for an eye exam and that is when they discovered the vision loss. What do you suggest, we are very frustrated and it is affecting his reading/learning.

Hello and thank you for your question.

It sounds as though you've been frustrated in your attempts to get your grandson's eye condition diagnosed and treated. The lack of a lesion on MRI is a good thing, but only rules out one cause of his vision loss. There can be other problems such as in-born optic nerve problems or an optic nerve dystrophy that can be causing his vision loss.

Given the fact that he's been to other eye doctors that have not been able to diagnose his condition, I would recommend that you make an appointment for him to see a sub-specialist. A pediatric ophthalmologist would be my first choice, followed by a neuro-ophthalmologist.

The best place to find both of these sub-specialists would be an academic medical center in a larger city.

Does that help answer your question?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.