Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I had a tear in the retina which the Doctor told me was not

I had a tear in the retina which the Doctor told me was not diabetes or high blood pressure related. He repaired the tear but I still have no vision in that eye. He told me that the pooled blood often recedes on its own but it doesn't appear to be happening. What can I expect to happen now. It's been 2 weeks since the tear was repaired.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I can empathize with your plight right now and I know it must be scary. It sounds as though there is significant blood in the jelly that's in the back of the eye. A significant amount of blood in that jelly (vitreous) can certainly decrease the vision.

If there was a retinal detachment associated with this tear and the detachment involved the center of the retina which is responsible for your fine, central vision (it is called the macula), then there is a chance that the vision may not improve much at all.

If it is just the blood and there was no retinal detachment, then it can take several weeks for the blood to settle down. Things you can do to foster that settling include sleeping with the head of your bed elevated, not using ibuprofen, motrin, advil, aleve or aspirin (unless medically necessary) as those medicines thin the blood and may propagate this bleeding, taking it easy and not straining against a heavy load and not bending down with your head below your waist.

If the blood does not settle after a few more weeks then it may be necessary to have surgery to evacuate that blood.

Does that make sense and did that address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.