Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

few eye problems I guess..scar on one eye due to a hot piece

I have a few eye problems I guess. I have a scar on one eye due to a hot piece of metal touching it when I was a kid (sparkler). A stigmas I think what they called it. And one eye is farsighted and one is near sighted. They gave me glasses which I am still trying to get used to. What prompted me to go to the eye doc besides difficulty reading, was a strange crawling sensation on my right temple and a slight pain around my right eye. They have done MRIs,catscans,blood evrything on me recently. I am slightly dizzy all the time. Sometimes it is worsened by looking from the keyboard to the screen, just a wave of increased dizziness that subsides to baseline dizziness. Could the crawling feeling be caused by my eyes straining?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Where is the scar situated in the eye? Is it on the cornea?

Customer :

cornea

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How long back were the present glasses given?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Customer :

a month, but I have only wore them a few days off and on

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I assume all the tests conducted on you gave normal results.

Customer :

Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Do you experience the dizziness only on wearing the glasses or is it felt otherwise too?

Customer :

All the time.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I see. Well , common causes for constant dizziness includes inner ear problem ( responsible for equilibrium) or cerebellar problem ( part of the brain). I guess with the MRI and CT scans being normal , I do not see any cerebellar cause for the dizziness. Maybe a detailed inner ear exam by an ear specialist will help to rule out that cause.

Customer :

been there, the only thing they found was a 25%weakness in left inner ear through air caloric testing

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Though astigmatism can give rise to difficulty with adapting to the prescribed cylinderical glasses, it seldom gives rise to constant dizziness. If the ear exam has been normal, then adapting to the new glasses indeed may be the cause. Moreover the correction in both the eyes is different apart from the astigmatism.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Your problem is more while gazing from keyboard to the screen.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would like to know what type of glasses have been given to you. Are they bifocal or progressive type?

Customer :

My question really was can the eye problem cause muscle spasams in the temple-bifocal but I am getting progressive

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Eye problem will not cause muscle spasms in the temple, but trying to strain your eyes especially in an attempt to read or view near objects can cause ciliary spasm which usually results in browache.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A good progressive glass should help you to overcome the eye strain while viewing varying distances, ie distance , intermediate or near.

Customer :

Thank you BYE