Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

I recently had a peripheral vision test and it showed that

I recently had a peripheral vision test and it showed that I have no "blind spot" in my left eye. The technician told the doctor I did not move. Is this anything to be concerned about?
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

What was the reason for the visual field test?
Did you have the blind spot present in the right eye?
What did the doctor say about it?

Customer :

Annual eye checkup to r/o any diabetes/glaucoma problems. Yes - right eye (my good eye) had a blind spot. She didn't say anything.

Dr. James :

Did she say you had glaucoma?
When are you scheduled to return again?

Dr. James :

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It appears you are offline.

Everyone has a blind spot which corresponds to where the optic nerve exits the eyeball. If you did not have spot in the left eye, it is due to testing error. If your doctor is worried about glaucoma, then she should repeat the visual field test.

If there is no worry for glaucoma or other visual field problems, then you can repeat the test at your next scheduled visit.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Edited by Dr. James on 9/7/2010 at 12:05 AM EST