Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

Ive been suffering from what seems to be pink eye in my right

I've been suffering from what seems to be pink eye in my right for about 7 days. I've had morning crusty eyes, tearing, puffiness and pain in the eye. I started using a Neomycin _Polymyxin B Hydrocortisone Drops 3 days ago. The eye hasn't really cleared, and it looks like the veins in my eyes are really red and new ones are forming around the iris. The iris and pupil seem fine. My vision seems fine too. It could be that I just have a really severe conjunctivitis, but I am worried that this could be something else, because of the red veins. Any ideas?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Hello.

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Have you seen an eye doctor?

Dr. James :

Do you have any change in vision?

Dr. James :

Does anyone else around you have pink eye?

Dr. James :

Do you wear contact lenses?

Customer :

Hi Dr. James,

Dr. James :

Hello.

Customer :

I have not seen an eye doctor. Only a GP. No one else around me has pink eye. I live alone, and have pretty much sequestered myself at my house so as to limit my contact with others since I was told it is contagious. I do wear contact lenses. They are daily disposables. I stopped wearing them as soon as the first symptoms appeared

Customer :

hello!

Customer :

I'm debating between going right now to the ER, or waiting until tomorrow and seeing an Opthamologist.

Dr. James :

Do you have any eye pain or decreased vision?

Customer :

It's unfortunate but it really comes down to money. What I pay by going to ER on Labor Day vs. waiting 18 hours is thousands of dollars. So, if I do go to the ER, and it really is just pink eye, I'll be paying for it for the next 6 months and it would be quite annoying

Customer :

I've had mild eye pain since Friday, but I notice it's only when I try to read or sit in front of a computer. If I'm doing something else, no pain.

Dr. James :

Pink eye is usually due to a viral infection and usually there is a history to contacting someone else with pink eye or a recent upper respiratory infection.

Dr. James :

The cause of a red eye is many. It can be a conjunctivitis (pink eye). It can also be an infection from the contact lenses. Usually this has more pain associated with it.

Customer :

my boss recently got a new kitten. and him and his family of 3 kids recently got back from argentina

Customer :

i'm around them ALL the time

Customer :

one of the kids came back very sick

Customer :

and made everyone in the house sick

Dr. James :

It can also be uveitis - which is inflammation inside the eyes.

Customer :

if it is uvetis, does it require immediate attention?

Dr. James :

It can just be a viral conjunctivitis.

Dr. James :

With uveitis, it would need treatment to go away.

Dr. James :

Since you've had it for a week already, you can probably wait until tomorrow.

Dr. James :

If the symptoms are progressive and worsening, obviously you should not wait.

Dr. James :

Conjunctivitis can take 2-3 weeks to clear.

Customer :

okay then I shall seek medical attention from a specialist tomorrow

Customer :

one last concern

Customer :

i have a history of blood clots.

Customer :

could that be the cause of what i'm experiencing?

Dr. James :

Blood clots due to what?
Where have the clots been?

Customer :

pulmonary

Customer :

docs don't really have a specific cause

Customer :

it might have been from a lapratomic surgery or the subsequent birth control pills they put me on to protect the healthy ovary. this was 2 years ago.

Dr. James :

There is one condition of clots behind the eyes called cavernous sinus thrombosis which can cause dilated blood vessels. This condition usually doesn't cause crusting.

Dr. James :

Cavernous sinus thrombosis is unlikely, but one of the things your doctor may consider.