Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My husband was cutting back a plant..is putting ice packs on his eye

My husband was cutting back a plant in our yard and a bit of milky white stuff from inside the cut stalk splashed into his eye. He's irrigated/flushed it several times, stood in the shower for 5 minutes trying to wash it out and is putting ice packs on his eye. It's now been about 20 minutes and the pain has not subsided at all. Is there anything else we can be doing?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Is the pain very severe? Is there any redness/watering/photophobia( intolerence to bright light)?

Customer :

hello

Customer :

yes to red and watering. not really bothered by light so much but hard to keep eye open

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Right now it is likely that he has developed irritation due to contact of the plant fluid with the cornea. It is good that he has flushed the eye with copious water ( helps to remove most of the irritant out of the eye). He can start using over the counter lubricating eye drops like preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , 1 drop 4 times a day. Along with this he can use Alaway eye drops to relieve the irritation and inflammation in the eye.

Customer :

should we be concerned with damage to the eye? the pain is still very severe.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If his symptoms persist , the major concern is for that of an eye infection , which would nessecitate the use of antibiotic eye drops.

Customer :

ok. if symptoms persist for how long?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

If the pain is very severe, there is possibility of the corneal epithelium getting abraded. This would need lubricating eye drops , lacrilube eye ointment along with an eye patch for 24 hours. If no relief is observed at all, then a detailed eye exam is better by an ophthalmologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

The corneal epithelium heals by 24 hours with lubrication and patching.

Customer :

ok, if pain doesn't subside within a couple of hours? by tomorrow? we follow up with opthamologist.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes, if pain does not subside with patching and lubrication within 24 hours, you can get the eye examined. It may need antibiotic eye drops then.

Customer :

ok thank you!

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You can visit an ophthalmologist for the needful.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome.Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince