Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have flashing in my right eye only when i turn my head to

I have flashing in my right eye only when i turn my head to the right and left. it does not happen when i move my eye only my head and not when i look up or down. What could be the problem. i am also a diabetic.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James : Hello
JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

Hello

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Do you have any neck pain?

Dr. James :

Are the flashing lights reproducible?

Dr. James :

When did this start?

Dr. James :

Does the vision get dim on that side as well?

JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

I have some neck pain all the time. what does reproducible mean? It started last night. The flash is only on the right side of the eye and towards the top.

Dr. James :

Reproducible being that if you turn your head, the flash lights happen as expected. or the flashing lights happen only some of the time.

JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

it happens only some of the time when i turn my head.

Dr. James :

Do you see any black floaters?

JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

not today but have seen them on Thurs. and Fri. only when i road in a golf cart on a gravel road

Dr. James :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material collapses on itself and pulls away from the wall of the eye. In the process it can stimulate the retina -- causing the flashes that you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

am i done now? this is my first chat on line ever.

Dr. James :

Do you have any other questions I can answer for you?

JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

is tomorrow ok to see the Doctor or should i call in for emergency?

Dr. James :

If you're not having any change in vision or seeing a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, then tomorrow should be fine.

JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

can i work and move around like normal today or rest?

Dr. James :

Just be aware of the signs of retinal detachment I mentioned above.

Dr. James :

No strenuous activity, but for the most part you can go about your business normally.

JACUSTOMER-546cej3k- :

thank you for you time. this has been a good experence.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.