Dr. Stan
Dr. Stan, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Johns Hopkins Fellowship Trained, Certified and Licensed Medical Physician and Surgeon
25472284

i have pain behind my right eye and seneitive over my right

i have pain behind my right eye and seneitive over my right crainum, this has been on and off for 12 months, i've been treated for trigeminal nuralga, for the last 2 months with little effect ( male 46)i've been taking carbmazepine 100mg 4 x a day for 4 weeks with little efect. neuro thought migraine, GP dissagreed and thought trigeminal.pain is worse when in bed /laying on right side
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Stan replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer:

Sorry about you frustrations and difficulties. Treating trigeminal neuralgic pain can be difficult, depending on the cause, including post herpes zoster infection, damage to the nerves, or multiple sclerosis. Carbamezepine can be used, but less effective than some newer medications. So, I suggest that you request that your doctor prescribe either Neurontin or Lyrica which are more effective than carbamezepine. In addition, I suggest that your doctor closely evaluation you with CT Scan and/or MRI of the orbit and brain to exclude any other process contributing to the symptoms. However, such persistent pain behind the eye and sensitivity over the cranium is suggest of trigeminal neuralgic pain more than migraine.

It was a pleasure to assist you. Please, allow me get credit for my time and effort in assisting you and press the ACCEPT button for this assist. I will be glad to answer additional questions until you are satisfied. Thank you so much.

A Positive Feedback and/or Bonus is welcomed and appreciated.

Please note that this answer is for information only. It cannot be substituted for the visit to or the recommendation of your doctor.