Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

other day, I noticed that my left eye..right eye..pediatrician..Fetal

To Whom It May Concern:
While I was observing myself in the mirror the other day, I noticed that my left eye's inner canthus isn't as noticeable as it is in my right eye. First off, would this indicate that I have an epicanthal fold on my left eye and if so, should I be worried about this (since it might mean that my pediatrician could have misdiagnosed as a "normal" child and not as a child with Alcohol Fetal Syndrome or Down Syndrome)? Lastly, I wish to hear from someone soon enough with a detailed response in regards XXXXX XXXXX worry.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 3 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

Can I ask your ethnicity?
Is there any reason to believe you have fetal alcohol syndome or Down's?

Customer :

Hello Dr. James and my ethnicity is of Hispanic background. There is no particular reason why I believe that I could have Alcohol Fetal Syndrome or Down Syndrome other than my eyes don't have the angled inner canthuses that most people have outside of their eyes.

Dr. James :

Thank you for the reply.

Dr. James :

It is true that an epicanthal fold can be part of a syndome, but not always.

Dr. James :

Epicanthal folds can be common asian ethnicities.

Dr. James :

I'm uncertain of the specific ethnic mix in your hispanic background, but if you have some indigenous blood, this may be a contributor to the epicanthal fold.

Dr. James :

Dr. James :

If there are no other problems, the fold by itself is a normal finding.

Customer :

Huh? What do you mean, Dr. James? Doctor, I wish to inform you that I am a CaucasXXXXX XXXXX adult of Hispanic descent, not a Hispanic male with an Asian background.

Dr. James :

Epicanthal folds are seen in caucasians as well, just not as common.

Customer :

Honestly, doctor, if only I can upload a close-up picture on here that way I can show what I mean based on the overall question I asked on this website.

Dr. James :

Sure, you can upload a picture.

Dr. James :

Use the icon that has a picture of a "tree".

Customer :

All right, I'm going to upload a picture of my eyes soon.

Dr. James :

ok.

Customer :

Close-up of my eyes (B&W shot)
Full Size Image

Customer :

Doctor, was the image able to upload correctly?

Customer :

Dr. James, let me try uploading the link to my photo again, okay?

Dr. James :

I am trying to view it.

Dr. James :

It shows it as private.

Dr. James :

so I am unable to view it.

Customer :

*read my previous above statement.

Customer :

Close-up of my eyes (B&W stillframe)
Full Size Image

Dr. James :

This is the message I get. "

This photo cannot be viewed because it has either been deleted or marked as private by the user.

Dr. James :

I do not have a myspace login to view the images.

Customer :

Okay, hold on, I'll find another way for you to view it.

Customer :

Geez louise, this is so frustrating. Evidently, the image doesn't want to upload itself from my desktop on here.

Customer :

Heck, I have even tried resizing the photo to its most miniscule yet visible size, but the image uploader doesn't allow me to upload it on here properly.

Dr. James :

Use the "tree" icon.

Dr. James :

Full Size Image

Customer :

Yes, I have already tried using the "tree" icon more than three times, but it still won't let me.

Customer :

Doctor, is this the only way that I can show you a close-up picture of my eyes?

Customer :

Close-up of my eyes (B&W shot)
Full Size Image

Dr. James :

Yes, I am able to view the picture.

Dr. James :

You do have an epicanthal fold, but it appears normal.

Customer :

All right, I was finally able to upload a close-up photo of my eyes using my new Flicker account.

Dr. James :

Yes, I was able to view it.

Customer :

Quite frankly, doctor, it was a mission just trying to upload this photo on here.

Dr. James :

Haha.. yes it was.

Customer :

Normal? Are you sure that I shouldn't be worried about this distinct attribute on my left eye?

Dr. James :

It appears symmetrical in both eyes. I don't see the distinct difference in the left eye.

Customer :

Honestly, I find it to be a bit "peculiar" in the sense that my left eye has an epicanthal fold, but my right eye appears to be normal. Funny enough, I was recently diagnosed to having a slight bit of astigmatism on my right eye.

Dr. James :

Most everyone has a little bit of astigmatism. Not everyone needs it corrected in their glasses. It's unrelated to the fold.

Dr. James :

Everyone will have a little bit of asymmetry. Your right and left eye looks symmetrical enough that I don't see an abnormality.

Customer :

So, based on your observations, I shouldn't be wasting my neurons on ideas of probably either having Fetal Alcohol Syndrome or even Down Syndrome, right?

Dr. James :

With regards XXXXX XXXXX eyes, they appear normal.

Customer :

Doctor, here's a colored photo of my eyes in case you want to make some last minute observations.

Customer :

Colored Photo of Facial Profile
Full Size Image

Dr. James :

Again, it appears normal to me.

Dr. James :

As an aside, questions on JustAnswer can be found on google and other search sites. Therefore, these images may be viewable to the public.

Dr. James :

You can choose to make the flickr photos private or delete them.

Customer :

Just out of curiosity, what occurs one to have the formation of eyes in the manner that I have them? In other words, why is it that I have my left eye with an epicanthal fold and my right eye formed normally?

Dr. James :

Both eyes to me have a mild epicanthal fold.

Dr. James :

Genetics really. That is why I asked your ethnicity as it is more prevalent in Asian countries.

Customer :

That's odd. As far as I know, I'm not related to any Asian, Native American or Pacific Islander either.

Dr. James :

This characteristic can be found in many ethnicities, even caucasians. The prevalence of these genes are just less common, but no zero. So you don't necessarily have to be of Asian decent to have it.

Dr. James :

Are there any questions I can answer for you?

Customer :

Doctor, I guess you can say that you answered all the questions I had in mind. Honestly, I was just a bit worried that because I have epicanthal folds on both of my eyes, I could've been misdiagnosed as a normal child instead of someone with something "abnormal" or "peculiar" per se.

Dr. James :

Your eyelids appear normal to me.

Dr. James :

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.?

Customer :

Don't worry, doctor. I will remember to press the "accept" button in order for you to receive compensation for your job well done.

Customer :

Though, I still have one more thing to ask just out of curiosity: from what you saw in both of the photos, did you notice if I had a distinction of "almond-shaped" eyes?

Dr. James :

I wouldn't consider your eyes "almond-shaped"

Customer :

So then, what exactly are "almond-shaped" eyes?

Dr. James :

The epicanthal folds gives a tapered look to the inside portion of the eye accounting for the almond shape.

Dr. James :

It would just be more pronounced tapering. Yours are very mild in that I wouldn't categorize you as such.

Customer :

Okay, so what shape of eyes do I have (and hopefully they aren't "blueberry" shaped)?

Dr. James :

I don't think there are distinct categories of eye shape.

Customer :

Okay, that's a good enough response (esp. coming from a specialized eye doctor like yourself).

Customer :

Well, Dr. James, thank you once again for answering all of the questions that I had in mind regarding the formation of my eyes. Lastly, I'll click on the "accept" button on my way out of this chatroom. Ciao.

Dr. James :

You're welcome. Have a good night..

Experience: Eye Physician and Surgeon