Dr. Rick
Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience:  Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest
48069651

hello doctor it has been 28days since my corneal re-graph.my

hello doctor
it has been 28days since my corneal re-graph.my vision is still hazy as well as blurry,but i donot have a lense in my eye as well.is this normal at this stage?
my docter has recommended i reduce my tobradex to once a day.i also have been prescribed ciloxan as well to be used ounce a day.
i was told to stop my voltaren drops and fucilthalmic as of last week.what is the purpose of ciloxen gel?
would it be normal to reduce the dosage so soon?
how long would it normally take for a bandage lens to be taken out,as my bandage lense is still there?
how long will it take for a lense to be put in?
i have been to by my opthalmologist that i should see him in 5 weeks time,but i notice irratability with my bandage lens.should i go earlier?
does diabetes or anything else affect the cornea or graph at this stage,which i should be aware of.
does diet play a healing roll in the recovery of the graph.
how whuld i be able to know if my eye pressure is fine.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Rick replied 4 years ago.

Hi. I would be happy to help your with your questions. I will try to answer them in the order asked.

It is normal for the vision to be hazy/blurry 28 days after a corneal transplant in an aphakic eye. It is important to follow the directions of your surgeon closely. What you have written about your drop regiment sounds fine to me -- there is no need to fear that the dosage is being reduced too soon as long as your surgeon is following your progress. The ciloxan gel is an antibiotic and has some added benefit of acting as a lubricant to sooth your eye.

The bandage contact lens is a very thin contact that covers the corneal transplant, the sutures and the remaining host (your) corneal tissue. It is left in place for varying amounts of time depending upon how well the epithelium (skin) is growing across the graft, the condition of the host tissue and sutures. If you seem to be experiencing more discomfort in your operated eye it never hurts to give your surgeon a call and ask her advice. I always tell my patients I would rather they call me then sit at home worrying and possibly allow a simple issue to become a larger problem.

There is really no way for me to give you a "time" after your corneal transplant for a lens to be placed back into your eye. There are many, many factors that need to be taken into account before deciding to proceed with intraocular lens (IOL) implant -- corneal graft condition, inflammation, condition of the anterior chamber, iris, lens bag, vitreous, retina just to name a few. The best thing you can do is follow your surgeons instructions, continue to have follow up visits as necessary and trust in her advice to let you know when she feels it would be best to move forward and correct your aphakia. Once this point has been reached then you, your family and your surgeon can pick the procedure that is best for you.

You did not mention if you had diabetes or not. In any event, it is important to manage all your other health issues as well as possible to help your eye heal. A normal healthy diet will go a long way toward achieving this goal. I am not a big believer in vitamins, but if you are by all means take them as directed on the label.

There is no way for you to monitor your eye pressure yourself. This requires a visit to your ophthalmologists office where it is checked with a special instrument. Keep your appointments and things should be OK on this front.

Complete visual recovery will depend upon healing of your graft, residual refractive error (astigmatism etc from the graft) after any indicated suture removal and replacement of the refractive power lost when your natural lens was removed. Be patient. It sounds like you are in good hands.

I hope my answer has been helpful. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Dr. Rick, Board Certified MD
Experience: Ophthalmology since 1994 with Retina sub-specialty interest