Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince
25407765

I woke up with what appears to be a white film over my right

I woke up with what appears to be a white film over my right eye. If I close my right eye, all i can see is white. I am 55 and otherwise very healthy. My eye was fine last night and is not injured in any way.

Maggie
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. A.S. Desai :

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you able to see light through your left eye?

Customer :

Hello. Yes

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You have stated that if you close your right eye, all you can see ( with your left eye) is white. Have I understood it correctly?

Customer :

I meant to say if I close my left eye all i can see is white from my right eye

Dr. A.S. Desai :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Any history of wearing glasses or contact lenses for distance since long? Are you known myopic?

Customer :

no

Customer :

actually i wear reading glasses on occasion

Dr. A.S. Desai :

When you say you are in good health , it would mean there is no history of diabetes or hypertension.

Customer :

No. Just migraines

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Ok. Give a few minutes so that I can type the reply.

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

A sudden diminution of vision in one eye , with no pain or redness in that eye, would point at some problem with the back of the eye ( posterior segment of the eye which includes retina and the optic nerve). I suggest you consult an ophthalmologist as early as possible to get the back of the eye examined. There could be a possibility of central retinal artery /vein occlusion, ophthalmic artery occlusion , retinal detachment, optic neuritis. These are some of the conditions in the eye that can give rise to a picture similar to yours. Early intervention is necessary for better prognosis. So you must get your eyes examined at the earliest by an ophthalmologist.

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Are you there?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist

Customer :

ok

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Customer :

ok i will make an appointment. It seems to be clearing up a little. Is this normal for this condition?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

Yes , if it is a retinal artery occlusion, the vision begins to clear once the occluding embolus dislodges.

Customer :

Is that serious and will it come back? What can Doctor do for it?

Dr. A.S. Desai :

It is likely to be a precursor or forewarner to something serious like an artery occlusion. It is better to get evaluated at this stage so that any underlying cause , if any , can be detected and rectified. The eye doctor will have to look into the back of the eye by fundus examination ( dilating eye drops have to be put). If need be a carotid doppler may be needed and a complete cardiac work up may be asked for , if signs of artery occlusion are found. Treatment is that of the underlying condition .

Dr. A.S. Desai :

How much of your vision is recovered now?

Customer :

90%

Dr. A.S. Desai :

That is good. So the vision had deteriorated for say a few minutes or hours?

Customer :

about i hour

Dr. A.S. Desai :

I would strongly think in terms of a transient ischemic attack( TIA), though classically it lasts for few minutes. It can be recurrent. It usually points towards occlusion of the fine retinal arteries. Once this condition is ruled out , and the eye exam shows no problem in the eye , then a diagnosis of exclusion is made , that of ocular migraine( vision may be reduced for few minutes say 15 to 30 minutes) which may or maynot be associated with any headache. This is a harmless condition and does not require any treatment.

Customer :

Thank you so much. I am a nurse so I understand all that you told me. I will look into it ASAP.

Dr. A.S. Desai :

You are most welcome. I wish you well.

Customer :

Thanks