Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology

I used vaseline to keep my permanent eyeliner moist. I got

I used vaseline to keep my permanent eyeliner moist. I got too much on and some got in my eye and I slept with it in my eye all niight. My eye is puffy and very red. I rinsed my eye with cool water. What else can I do to alleviate the puffiness and redness, and how long will it take to look and feel better.

Hello and thanks for your question.

I would recommend that you use preservative-free artificial tears several times in the day, but also use cool compresses as much as you can do. The combination of the lubrication and the cool compress will help reduce the swelling. If after 48 hours you are no better, however, you may have such a significant amount of inflammation that you may need a prescription anti-inflammatory drop.

Does that make sense and does that help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is Elestat or Restalyn ok? Or can you recommend an artificial tears otc?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I meant Restasis, not restylane
Restasis would not help in this situation as it takes 8-10 weeks of daily usage before its effect is seen.