Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Stye- or boil- looking eruption on lower left eyelid, with

Customer Question

Stye- or boil- looking eruption on lower left eyelid, with moderate pain in area. I am 70, female, never had a stye before. Medical history of possible relevance: mild stroke in Feb 2010 with continuing disturbance in left side sensations of face, mouth and hand. Had eye exam by opthalmologist about 2 wks ago and have been using the Lotemax drops he prescribed, until today.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.

Did you not receive my earlier reply?
You actually accepted that answer but then gave me a negative reply!

A stye is treated with warm compresses as I mentioned in my timely reply to you I posted earlier.

Edited by Dr. James on 9/4/2010 at 4:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I never saw the reply.

Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
I take pride in my responses and hope you are satisfied with my responses. A negative feedback affects me deeply.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to have troubled you. Please disregard my question, my info, and especially any unknowing and unintended action on my part to sign up for any "free 30 trial" of any online medical Q & A service. Thank you.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
No trouble at all. I just want you to be satisfied with your experience here.

With regard to your original question, it is possible to have a stye of your eyelids, even at the age of 70. Styes are usually caused by blocked oil glands within the eyelid. Warm compresses are the best way treat them if done early. The lotemax should help as well.

Most styes usually resolve after 2-3 weeks, so it should have improved by now. If it is worse, then you should re-visit with your ophthalmologist.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Thank you very much, Dr James. I appreciate your repeated efforts to resolve my questions; my negative feedback was NOT intended for you, but for the "JustAnswer" website forum.

The information I received from them was misleading from the first time you came online. First, I was not given any notice that "accepting" an answer meant subscribing to a monthly service (even with a 30 day free trial); second, the doctor who I thought was available online at the time (and whose bio and info I checked before proceeding) was not you. Your training and other info from your bio and feedback are certainly commendable, and I thank you again for your time. Please forward my feedback to the proper person at JustAnswer; I have tried, but failed to establish communication dirrectly with them.

If you are online now, or next time you are serving, please accept my apologies.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
P.S. Please note that the "Truste" privacy logo and link which I saw briefly and clicked on after the initial question indicated that "JustAnswer" was NOT on their list. Hence my concerns and frustration.
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Not a problem at all.

If you need to get in touch with customer service, you can submit a request in the following link.