Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon
20222826

I have had severely dry eyes for years. Nothing I have tried

I have had severely dry eyes for years. Nothing I have tried for relief, including punctual plus, artificial tears, night time ointment, Lacriserts, or an eye mask at night has helped as much as much as a course of antibiotics. Doxycycline, or several other antibiotics I have been on briefly for infections, have totally corrected the dryness and restored my vision to normal while I was on those medications. However, the antibiotics caused overgrowth of systemic yeast, so I was unable to continue them for more than 10 days.

Do you know of any other medications, other than steroids, that might reduce inflamation enough to help my tear production again? Thank you....Jenny
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

Dr. James :

You may consider a newer antibiotic eye drop called Azasite which has been used in some patients with dry eyes.

Dr. James :

I assume you are on Restasis already to help with increasing tear production.

Customer :

Yes, I tried Restasis for 8 months and stopped after I had no improvement with it. I have also tried Erdthromycin ointment, which didn't help. Do you thinkAzasite would be better?

Dr. James :

Hello???

Customer :

Did you get my reply? I have tried Restasis for 8 months, as well as Erythromycin.

Dr. James :

It appears you have tried all the other alternatives. It works slightly different than the others, so it is worth a try.

Customer :

I will ask my doctor to write me a 'script for Azasite, if I need one. Thank you. (Jenny James)

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.

Dr. James :

Yes, it is prescription only.

Customer :

My Opthamologist is always willing to help me try something else. I will talk to him again. Thank you again.