Dr. Dan B.
Dr. Dan B., Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye surgeon experienced in cataracts, glaucoma, retina & neuro-ophthalmology
36528250

I have terrible, throbbing eye pain. Even now while writing

Customer Question

I have terrible, throbbing eye pain. Even now while writing this I am in pain. The pain is on the left eyelid only and if I don't take something, it get worst and worst. I wake up at night and in the morning with this pain. There are times when my eye is red from this pain. I have to take an over-the-counter medication during the day to stop this pain. When the pain does stop it feels numb and there are times when the pain is there it feels like something is not right on the inside of my eye. There are times when it feels like something is in my eye. The only thing I can say is that the pain is unbearable. What is it?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. Dan B. replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for your question.

There are a couple of diagnoses that this sounds consistent with. A red eye that causes this throbbing that wakes you from sleep sounds consistent with scleritis. This is an inflammation of the white part of the eye that can often be associated with auto-immune disease.

This could also represent a chronic angle closure glaucoma scenario, where the eye becomes intermittently red, achy/throbbing and can also be associated with decreased vision and colored halos around lights.

Dry eye can be exacerbated by this inflammation in your eyelids (blepharitis) and is what you use the occusoft lid scrub for. A severe dry eye can also cause these types of symptoms.

I suspect this may be scleritis which I spoke about first. It is very important to have this looked at by an ophthalmologist as there can be profound implications to the health of the eye.

Does this help address your concerns?

I am happy to be able to help you today. If you would be so kind, please help me get credit for my efforts in answering your questions and press the ACCEPT button for this encounter. I would also be happy to continue to answer any more questions you have until we have resolved your concern.

Also, any positive feedback and/or bonus you may feel prompted to provide would be welcomed and is appreciated.

My opinion is solely informative and does not constitute a formal medical opinion or recommendation. For a formal medical opinion and/or recommendation you must be examined by your doctor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will be seeing an eye doctor on 9/18 and i will ask if this is the problem. I have seen this doctor 3 times. would he have know that this was the problem? The name of the center is Panton Eye Care in Elmwood Park, IL. The are experts in eye care. How serious is this problem?

Scleritis can be a serious problem. For most people who have it, it does not cause permanent damage to the eye. However, a minority of people who have this can have thinning of the cornea and sclera which can lead to permanent damage of the eye.

If the scleritis was in an early stage, it may not have been a clear-cut diagnosis. That being said, it is never a bad idea to get a second opinion. That can give you peace of mind and either help to get the right diagnosis or treatment or reassurance that the course you've been pursuing is the right one.

Does that help?