Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 13 years of surgical expereince

Dear Doctor, I am now recovering from Steven Johnson Syndrome,

Dear Doctor,

I am now recovering from XXXXX XXXXX Syndrome, which has worsened my dry eye problem. My question now is if I experience sharp pain in my eyes, is it due to the extreme dryness?

Thank You
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 6 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

Yes, severe dry eyes can cause pain in the eyes due to dryness of the cornea too. With the present treatment , you should feel better within few days. But a constant sharp pain in that eye, which worsens on blinking the eye could indicate a filamentory keratitis( can be seen in dry eyes).You will need to increase the frequency of the lubricating eye drops ( such as preservative free Refresh tears eye drops , half to one hourly, and lacrilube eye ointment at bedtime). The risk of developing adhesions between the conjunctival layers is high for which preventive measures like lubricating eye ointment at bedtime is advisable.A confirmation of involvement of the cornea is possible on slit lamp examination done by an ophthalmologist. I suggest you follow the above dosage of lubricating drops and ointment and consult an ophthalmologist if you do not appreciate any relief in 2-3 days.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist