Dr. A.S. Desai
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience:  MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince
25407765

My right eye has problems moving left and right following a

My right eye has problems moving left and right following a sub arachnoid haemorrhage caused by a skiing accident- the left eye has now returned to normal movement. The eye itself is undamaged and I am under an eye specialist at my district general hospital. Is there anything I can do to help this eye recover its movement?
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. A.S. Desai replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer

It would be helpful to know the ocular findings as seen by the ophthalmologist who has examined your eye, but I guess from your description , that it is more likely that you are having some amount of eye muscle contracture due to which there is some amount of restriction of eye movement from side to side in your right eye. Though there is a possibility of paralytic squint, it would have resulted in different presentation. For eg. a third cranial nerve palsy would have caused a drooping of the upperlid along with deviation of the eye outwards. A sixth cranial nerve paralysis would have resulted in deviation of the eyewards. In your case , there is difficulty in moving the eye in both directions ie towards right and towards left. This increases the chances of restriction of the eye muscles following injury. Fogging the eye definitely reduces the discomfort from double vision( as has already been done ).

The next option is to get an eye muscle investigation called EMG( electromyography) done which can help to know if it is a paralytic muscle with some fibrillar activity or with no activity, or a restrictive myopathy with a normal EMG. Surgery is helpful in the latter two conditions. But in case of paralytic muscle with fibrillar activity , chances of natural recovery is better with time( months to years). In cases of restrictive myopathy, release of contractures can be done surgically. A good squint specialist should be able to help you further.

Thanks and best wishes

If you are satisfied with the answer , please press the accept button so that I get my dues.

A bonus and positive feedback are welcome.

Views expressed are for information purpose only and cannot substitute a visit to an ophthalmologist
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
My right eye is turned inwards does this make a difference? Where would I get EMG done is it a hospital procedure or can in be bought from private providers?

Thank you for the reply and additional information.

Yes, it does help to know that your eye is deviated inwards. It kind of points towards a paralytic squint from sixth cranial nerve palsy ( post -trauma). EMG is a hospital procedure and its result can be interpreted by a squint specialist. Further management can be decided from the interpretation of the test especially whether surgery will help or not.
Dr. A.S. Desai, Ophthalmologist
Experience: MS Ophthalmology with 11 years of surgical expereince