Dr. James
Dr. James, Board Certified Ophthalmologist
Experience:  Eye Physician and Surgeon

Hi Eve, Yesterday, I had a spot on my eye that I thought was

Hi Eve,
Yesterday, I had a spot on my eye that I thought was mascara, but it was not visible on the outside, and it moved when I blinked.
Today, it is still there and now looks like a thread.
Is my Retina detaching or tearing?
Do I need to go to the ER?
I called my eye doctor and they suggested I call tomorrow and get in as soon as I could.
I need your suggestion please.
Category: Eye
Expert:  Dr. James replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Dr. James :

Please Note:
JustAnswer is a public forum. Information provided is for educational purposes & does not establish a patient-physician relationship nor substitute for a personal consultation with a physician.

How is your vision?
Do you see any flashes of light?
Do you see a shadow or veil in the periphery of you vision?

JACUSTOMER-rkw8gycu- :

My vision is fine. I wear eyeglasses. I did have a bit of blurring a couple days before the dot showed up, but that is gone.

JACUSTOMER-rkw8gycu- :

The third day, the dot turned into a thread like vein that moves when I blink. It is in my right eye.

JACUSTOMER-rkw8gycu- :

The color is black. No lights.

JACUSTOMER-rkw8gycu- :

The line is about at 2:00 on a clock from my right eye, when I look into a mirror.

Dr. James :

You are likely experiencing a PVD or posterior vitreous detachment, a common event that happens in many people.

You have a thick gel material in the middle of your eyes. Over time as it liquefies, this gel material can clump together forming these floaters you see.

It is recommended that you see your ophthalmologist to look at the retina to make sure there are no problems such as a retinal hole or tear. In most cases, there are no problems, but this exam in precautionary and allows for preventative treatment of any lesions that are found.

If you notice a sudden increase in floaters, flashes of light (like a lightening storm), or a shadow/veil in the periphery of your vision, this can be worrisome for a retinal detachment. You would need to contact your ophthalmologist promptly in that case.

JACUSTOMER-rkw8gycu- :

Thank you for your advice. You have made my husband at ease about this. I will call my eye doctor in the morning for an appointment.

Dr. James :

You're welcome.

Please remember to press the accept button so I can receive credit for assisting you.